Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11 21H2 both show up as "2009" release

Brass Contributor

I'm not real sure where to post this, so will try here.

I have noticed that for both Windows 10 - 21H2 and Windows 11 - 21H2, the "ReleaseID" value in the Registry is incorrectly shown as "2009".  (We are using Windows 10/11 Enterprise.)  This is located at this key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

We rely on inventorying this value to determine which computers have which "Feature Update" installed, and therefore, which computers we still need to update.

Has Microsoft migrated away from using this value to indicate which Feature Update is installed?  Do we need to change our approach to look at the "DisplayVersion" instead of the "ReleaseID"?  Or some other value in the registry?

Also, Windows 11 has another issue.  In the same registry key location, the "ProductName" value is listed as "Windows 10 Enterprise", which of course is incorrect.

Are others seeing these same results with these items?  Anyone heard if Microsoft has plans to fix these issues?

3 Replies
DisplayVersion is also 21H2 for both (Server 2022 too)
you should rely on CurrentBuild or CurrentBuildNumber
22000 and higher = Windows 11
21350 and lower = Windows 10

all "Windows 10" in the registry are left for Windows 11 probably for compatibility

@Keith_Hemmelman we had the same question a while ago.
The ReleaseID regkey is deprecated.
Windows 10 21H1 reports ReleaseID 2009 | Born's Tech and Windows World (borncity.com)

Instead you can use the DisplayVersion regkey  from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Otherwise in Windows 11 this key is showing 21H2. I did not find an exact reason for this.
If anyone has a clue, please share, that would be great.

About the buildnumbers for Windows 11 this link can clear this out.
Windows 11 build ver is still 10.0.22000.194 - Microsoft Q&A

Rotche Capuyan Ouano

legal person developer digital creator app online database development……

No one have right to change my position the legal owner of all inside and outside my internal body programming energy power healthcare system connection global world internet hub...