Windows 11 bug - Cannot move the taskbar to the Side or top

Iron Contributor

We run hospitals and have 86,000 workstations that we will be upgrading to Windows 11. However, one HUGE stumbling block has been the broken Taskbar and that it will no longer move. We have clinical apps that have their own Taskbars at the top and the bottom so we HAVE to have the taskbar set on the Side. We have UEV that roams the setting.

However, with Windows 11 that functionality seems to be removed. It is very annoying that Microsoft is removing functionality and dumbing things down.

Can they please fix it. We have had Moving taskbars since Windows 95. I cannot believe they removed that feature.

21 Replies
when using 16:9 screens it makes sense to keep taskbars on side to better use screen real estate. This is something we are used to since windows 7. Please being this feature back.

Hello,
How to move the taskbar to the top:

Open the registry editor and paste this:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3
in the navigation bar
Find setting and open it to change 03 to 01 in the fifth column of the second row.

After completion restart your computer.

If you want to move the taskbar to the side, there should be no solution at the moment.

I heard the registry workaround is bugged and makes edge and explorer crash. Dont want to get into this mess.
No, I'm also using it now without any problems
What are your system specs ?
We need Microsoft to fix this. It is not something that we are going to try and reg hack binary keys for 86,000 people. That isn't even doable with Group Policy preferences.
are you sure this hasnt been removed? also is there a list of things that have been added/removed from going from windows 10 to 11?
Better to submit this via Feedback Hub app to let MS know this. As this is kind of important feature for mission-critical devices.
I have pinned the taskbar to the right side of my screen for years. Until Microsoft allows this again, I will not be upgrading.

@OakRoseStudio same.  If I wanted to own an Apple product, I would have bought one.  Bring back my Windows functionality and stop making decisions on my behalf.

There's a company out there that makes ridiculous decisions that have nothing to do with customer experience; it's the company that removes headphone jacks from their phones, obsoletes biometric login features in favor of ... more biometric features. I didn't think Microsoft was that kind of company - to make dumb decisions that force all users into the same box based on their "all knowing" ego. But the evidence now points to things falling apart under Satya Nadella's leadership and arrogant, worthless decisions creeping into their 'new vision.'

Chief Product Officer, Panos Panay should be fired.  How do you let a basic function like task bar location get removed from the software - and how on earth do you approve the launch of the software with such a major issue?  

Microsoft, please return the ability to move taskbar to the side of the screen.   I've always had mine on the right side and having it locked to the bottom is quite annoying.   I'll be reverting to Windows 10 until corrected...

@lforbes Hi

Win11 taskbar only at the bottom of the screen - it needs to be changed! - Microsoft Tech Community

I have been writing about this problem since July and unfortunately even in the Insider Program there is no test of the amendment to this change!

No longer working with later preview... What Microsoft is thinking?
Never had any problem with this hack. The only problem, now it stop working on latest windows 11 preview build.....
They would say, it's your problem. 2, 3, 4....
This is very annoying screw you Microsoft and your infinite wisdom
Insane - what are Microsoft Thinking removing this?

@microsoftFeedback

I have been well known in my career to be the one with the "weird"->"where is you taskbar" setup

But I am willing to educate myself by the experts.   

What I want to learn from Microsoft directly (hopefully in this forum ) is ..

.. was there a focus group /technical reason for removing the feature

.. will the feature be coming back and if not why not 

Now I wait for Microsoft to respond concisely and directly answering all these questions. 

In regard to the community .. Windows is built to do data harvesting while using a computer.  The user is consenting to share data upon install and committing to have read the privacy policy.  The feature helps nothing in that endeavor.

Windows 11 is out for a while .. this has not been fixed as of yet (date: 12/17/2022 10:49 EST)

My take on it .. sharing opinions is a forum is great .. making an app in the app store that anchors to any point on the screen and allowing you to add shortcuts while selling it for $1 potentially will make you a millionaire.  (I would buy it)  .. coders get cracking !