Windows 11 b.132 random bluetooth audio quality drop

Iron Contributor

It happens randomly and sporadically whenever you start listening to a new audio (video) after period of silence: for a few seconds sound quality drops as if headset is in communication mode (which greatly reduces quality), then everything goes back to normal. Sure enough, when I go to sound settings after that happens headset is marked as communication device (which I keep changing to another device every time, but it somehow switches back again).

I don't use my headset for communication at all, only listen in 'music mode', its mic is completely disabled in settings (as I use external microphone), so I can't imagine why would it fallback to communication profile.

Build .132, this problem had NEVER occurred in Windows 10, been using my headphones for more than six months, so I'm pretty confident this is W11 bluetooth audio related bug.

11 Replies
Bump. Still not fixed on build.184

@tinefolI am having the same problem with my Sony headphones.

Yeah, it isn't fixed yet :(

@tinefol I'm having the same issue on my Sony WH-1000XM4's. I boot up Halo Infinite, all the sound is good, until I get into the main menu. Boom. Terrible quality all of a sudden. And it's applied to all apps on the computer during the game. Then reverts when quitting the game. PLEASE FIX MICROSOFT

Yea I can confirm the bug is still happening.

Been using same headphones on a Windows 10 PC for a couple of days and bug never occurred.

MS, fix bluetooth audio!

@tinefol I am having an issue with my Bluetooth sound on my headphones, when I enter a game the sound becomes funny and has like white noise and then I restart my PC and sound is fine until I restart a game again. I am using beats studio 3 and it worked no problems on windows 10

Same issue with Sony WH-1000XM4's. Please fix this.

@tinefol Still not fixed on build 22000.434. Is there any workaround?

After a long battle, I have fixed the issue.
In my case, I had WH-XB900N and LE_WH-XB900N while searching for bluetooth devices. DO NOT use the second option. Use standard headphones name to connect.

Steps to fix the low audio quality problem:

1. Connect to your headphones.
2. Go to the audio output device in the taskbar. You should see the 'Headset' option there - that's the issue.
3. Go to the Device Manager: Right-click on the Start icon -> Device Manager.
4. Expand Bluetooth node.
5. Right-click on the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) -> Uninstall device
6. The system will ask for a restart. Click the Yes option.
7. After the restart, you should have 'Headphones' in the audio output device on the taskbar instead of the 'Headset' option.
That fixed the issue for me.

I'm having a similar issue on my Sony WH-1000xm4's. I boot up Halo Infinite, all the sound is great, until I get into the primary menu. Blast. Horrendous quality out of nowhere. Furthermore it's applied to all applications on the PC during the game. Then, at that point, returns while stopping the game. If it's not too much trouble, FIX MICROSOFT