When Windows 11 will support 7gen i7-7500U intel processcor

Brass Contributor

Hii everyone

I have aroud 4 years old computer(running Windows10) that has the i7-7500U intel CPU.
I checked with the "PC health check" app, and the only missing requirment update to windows 11 is the proccessor.

Does Micorsoft will update the Windows11 to support this CPU also?

thank you very much for helping!

108 Replies
I have the same processor and the same issue. I can still upgrade the RAM from 16gb to 32gb. It still runs perfectly. Quick and responsive in its's current configuration. If support of Windows 10 ends in 2025, and Windows 11 doesn't support my processor, I will consider changing the OS to a stable Linux distro.
Uh, actually the Windows 11 do support Intel CPU under 8th Gen below. I've already test on my 6th Gen device. All working well expect that you cannot join Windows Insider Program. :)

@Little_JoeThe title did say a specific processor (i7-7500U) and I can't retest as I've now given the surface away and won't be buying a new one.

@rdmartin 

My machine configuration:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz

RAM: 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

OS Edition: Windows 10 Pro

OS Build: 19045.2604

I have tried thrice actually but had to roll back to Windows 10, these are points which I have noticed:

• Windows explorer was acting like crazy sometimes, hold-and-drag folders/files were looks like iPhone Slow Motion videos.
  • Blue Screen and laptop restarts suddenly.
  • Running lots of applications at the same time was crashing windows.

In my opinion, we should not run Windows 11 on unsupported processors.

I just did this, and sure enough...it downloaded Windows 11 Home, 22H2. I am running it with no apparent problems so far!

On August 24, 2023 I successfully installed Windows 11 on my laptop which has Intel i7-7500U processor (TPM enabled). So far no issues.
I joined Windows insider program and it let me download and install Windows 11 on the the laptop which was otherwise not supported as per Microsoft's website.

@AWMianI installed it back when Win11 first came out. The biggest problem I encountered was that my ThinkPad System Update software would not find updates for my computer anymore, becaus this model is not listed in their database to run with Win11. And did not want to start looking manually for BIOS or driver or software updates. Besides this, I thought Win10 was better in several ways, and Win11 had a lot of issues at the start. So went back to Win10. I will change to Win11 only when Win10 is not at all updated anymore...

You are correct. Windows 11 was not very stable back then but now it is much stable and feature enriched. I am hoping soon Microsoft will officially start supporting this processor.

@AWMian    So...  I did manage to load Win11 on my older surface BUT it didnt end well.  It was so underpowered (absolutely useless) that its returned to its previous state and working fine.  Possibly more than processor related...   I didnt have enough interest to investigate more.