Windows 11 Taskbar & Start Menu Layouts

MVP

Let's quickly understand Windows 11 Taskbar and Start Menu settings here. I was trying to make user life a bit easier here? 

Microsoft documentation on Windows 11 Start Menu layout (customization options) is fairly detailed similar to Windows 10.

AnoopCNair_3-1651086078042.png

I'm missing the similar Windows 11 layout screenshot for Taskbar. There are many design changes in the Windows 11 Taskbar similar to Start Menu design changes.

The following are the important sections of the Windows 11 Taskbar layout for quick understanding. I hope the taskbar layouts will evolve with every production version of Windows 11.

1. Windows 11 Start button
  2. Pinned apps
  3. Taskbar Corner Icons
  4. Notifications
  5. Widgets

AnoopCNair_4-1651086642375.png

You have many options to customize Windows 11 taskbar. You can hide or show notification icons to Taskbar. Windows 11 Taskbar settings such as Alignment (Center or Left) can be changed from the Settings apps.

AnoopCNair_5-1651087927406.png

You can customize taskbar notifications similarly to the Windows 10 operating system.  Taskbar Corner overflow options are useful to control the icons appearing near the far-right corner of the taskbar. The Windows 11 context menu is another feature that has received a love and hate relationship.

Windows 11 Jump Lists from the Start menu and Windows 11 File Explorer options are also changed. Some of these screenshots are taken from Windows 11 insider versions. So, the default settings (or appearance) of Windows 10 and Windows 11 might vary depending on the versions that you are using.

There are useful Windows 11 keyboard shortcuts related to Taskbar as you see below.

• Windows logo key  + B – Set focus to the first icon in the Taskbar corner.
  • Windows logo key  + T – Cycle through apps on the taskbar.
  • Windows logo key  + number – Open the desktop and start the app pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number. If the app is already running, switch to that app.
  • Windows logo key  + Shift + number – Open the desktop and start a new app instance pinned to the taskbar in the position indicated by the number.
  • Windows logo key  + Alt + Enter (on taskbar item focus) – Open taskbar settings.

I don't see any PowerShell or Windows Terminal command lines for managing these Windows 11 Taskbar or Start menu settings. Am I missing something here?

More details coming soon

0 Replies