Ungroup items on the Taskbar in Windows 11

Iron Contributor
I need help on how to ungroup items on the Taskbar in Windows 11

115 Replies
yeah and we'll have to keep using 3rd parties to have our menu look normal etc...
these ideas are dumb..the whole point of opening an app or function is to use it....
so when I open my start menu I want to see my programs...
when I click on a taskbar button I want to see my program pop up...
not click on another button to access the things I clicked for in the first place.
my computer isn't a tablet and these morons keep trying to make windows act like one instead of adding functionality to the OS...
people spend time on their computer doing 3 things...
browsing...gaming and creating (either app development or artist/job stuff)
nobody cares for this crap that wastes people's time...
make a better browser (PS: everyone uses gmail these days...so make it work proper..not live accounts)
add support to running programs sandboxed
add support for vulkan natively and an interface from directx to vulkan and vulkan to directx
so people can pick which one they want
hell...put things to an online vote instead of listening to devs that think they know what people want

Hi @NetboxGlobal

Unfortunately, this feature is no longer available in Windows 11, however, you can give feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub by pressing Win + F.

You are quite right, but Microsoft must take care of security and fix vulnerabilities, of course, it does not have to inform about it.
I understand that we got used to it - I would also like features like in Windows10.
Unfortunately, User Requirements are not a priority but proper security and compatibility.

@SalmanAhmed but u need to install win 11 for make feedback on win11

so no thanks

i can wait a few years for upgrade

there are no point upgrade to a open beta test

the company i work for delayed win11 to 2024 (around 6000 users in 4 country)

I also think that the delay in implementation is now appropriate!
Microsoft reads the posts and understands the frustrations of users.
I believe that the applications had too much and virtually unlimited access to the system, which created security vulnerabilities, and the taskbar automatically lost this functionality because of this.
I think Microsoft will solve this problem in a different way!

@Vollekanne 

I encourage you to test implementations on selected computers in the organization - to be up to date I think this is a good idea.

Best regards

Commercial previews for Windows 11 and Windows 10, version 21H2 - Microsoft Tech Community

I cant believe I am reading this post after one moth and a half since it was created and Mircrosoft has not yet patched this.
Windows 11 is turning out to be another Windows 8.x. Too much focus on cosmetics at the cost of functionality.

@An microsoft please bring back the option to ungroup icons onthe task bar

Come on Microsoft - so far Win 11 RTM is looking like an exercise in aesthetics! How about functionality? Since upgrade I am still tweaking the Win11 to make it productive - but forcing taskbar grouping is the worst bit so far! Admins / users need to be able to quickly & easily jump to open apps. Please release an update soon to re-enable this option. Thank you!
non Productive move by MS , Ungroup option should be provided

Absolutely regret the decision to click upgrade to Windows 11 based on the lack of this feature.  It's going to absolutely kill my productivity and I suspect I'll revert back to Windows 10 before the week is up

Seriously MS? I have a ton of windows open and it helps ungrouping browser assignments in the task bar.

There is no excuse not to.
MS should fix this as soon as possible!!! And Why GPO setting isn't worked? When did MS start breaking even administrative GPO settings?

Open Powershell -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force
# Restore the Classic Taskbar in Windows 11
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages" -Name "UndockingDisabled" -PropertyType DWord -Value "00000001";
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages" -Name "UndockingDisabled" -Value "00000001";
# Disable Taskbar / Cortana Search Box on Windows 11
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" -Name "SearchboxTaskbarMode" -PropertyType DWord -Value "00000000";
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" -Name "SearchboxTaskbarMode" -Value "00000000";
# Ungroup Taskbar Icons / Enable Text Labels in Windows 11
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" -Name "NoTaskGrouping" -PropertyType DWord -Value "00000001";
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" -Name "NoTaskGrouping" -Value "00000001";
./taskkill /f /im explorer.exe;
./CMD /Q /C START /REALTIME explorer.exe;

Run this to reverse the changes...

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages" -Name "UndockingDisabled" -Value "00000000"
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" -Name "SearchboxTaskbarMode" -Value "00000001";
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" -Name "NoTaskGrouping" -Value "00000000";

https://winaero.com/how-to-restore-classic-start-menu-in-windows-11-and-get-back-live-tiles/

@D2787 I absolutely agree!

Microsoft has been always famous for usability and for following user best practices.

I really hope unstack taskbar option will be reintroduced as in my ultrawide monitor the taskbar looks very tiny and silly.

It takes me a good 2-3 seconds every switch of window to find what I am looking for.

Otherwise I'll be forced to use a 3rd party hack.

The right key is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages
New DWORD value UndockingDisabled set to 1
+ restart explorer
As described here: https://winaero.com/how-to-restore-classic-start-menu-in-windows-11-and-get-back-live-tiles/

Edit: But it is unusable [by me, maybe somewhere it works OK]. After enabling that property, the Start menu doesn't work (it is not showed anymore) and explorer starting very slow. If I set UndockingDisabled back to 0, Start menu works again (but with icon grouping).

If you just upgraded to Windows 11, this script would work better (explorer is always slow when you restart it using that method.) I had the same experience...

Open Powershell -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

# Reset most System Apps
Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers 1527c705-839a-4832-9118-54d4Bd6a0c89 | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515 | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers E2A4F912-2574-4A75-9BB0-0D023378592B | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers F46D4000-FD22-4DB4-AC8E-4E1DDDE828FE | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.AccountsControl | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.AsyncTextService | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.BioEnrollment | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.CredDialogHost | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.ECApp | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.LockApp | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.MicrosoftEdgeDevToolsClient | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Win32WebViewHost | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Apprep.ChxApp | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.CallingShellApp | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.CapturePicker | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.NarratorQuickStart | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkConnectionFlow | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.PeopleExperienceHost | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.PinningConfirmationDialog | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Search | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.XGpuEjectDialog | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsNotepad | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers MicrosoftWindows.Client.WebExperience | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers MicrosoftWindows.UndockedDevKit | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers NcsiUwpApp | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Windows.CBSPreview | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers windows.immersivecontrolpanel | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Windows.PrintDialog | Reset-AppxPackage;

# Restore the Classic Taskbar in Windows 11
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages" -Name "UndockingDisabled" -PropertyType DWord -Value "00000001";
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages" -Name "UndockingDisabled" -Value "00000001";

# Disable Taskbar / Cortana Search Box on Windows 11
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" -Name "SearchboxTaskbarMode" -PropertyType DWord -Value "00000000";
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" -Name "SearchboxTaskbarMode" -Value "00000000";

# Ungroup Taskbar Icons / Enable Text Labels in Windows 11
New-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" -Name "NoTaskGrouping" -PropertyType DWord -Value "00000001";
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" -Name "NoTaskGrouping" -Value "00000001";

C'mon Microsoft. It's been a while now. Bring the ungroup items in the taskbar option back. We're literally begging you

@xjikkaTry this instead (it didn't let me post last time.) Restarting explorer is ALWAYS slow...

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope LocalMachine -Force
Get-AppxPackage -allusers 1527c705-839a-4832-9118-54d4Bd6a0c89 | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515 | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers F46D4000-FD22-4DB4-AC8E-4E1DDDE828FE | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.Search | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Windows.CBSPreview | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers windows.immersivecontrolpanel | Reset-AppxPackage;
Get-AppxPackage -allusers Windows.PrintDialog | Reset-AppxPackage;