Small HDMI-to-VGA Adapter make very often crash Windows 11 Pro

Copper Contributor

It started almost 2 month ago.

I have 3 monitors on my adapter.

1 DisplayPort: 3840 (Main)

1 HDMI: 1920 (Auxiliary)

1 VGA 1920 connected to the GPU via the HDMI-VGA adapter (Auxiliary)

I always worked without issues.

A couple of month ago, that HDMI-to-VGA adapter, started to impede to Windows 11 to boot properly. During the boot, it resets the PC.

I bought it was the adapter, so I bought a new one, but there is no way to make it work.

Each time I just plugin the adapter, the PC resets and restart. But it's not able to complete the boot

I also guessed it was the GPU but connecting a small HDMI monitor directly to the same port where the adapter was connected, everything works fine. Hence: it's not the GPU

here below the type of adapter I use.
https://www.powerplanetonline.com/cdnassets/adaptador_hdmi_a_vga_01_l.jpg 

13 Replies
Does this problem start after you upgrade to the Windows 11?
Does it display any error message?
Have you updated your Windows?

@Reza_Ameri 

I have W 11 for almost 1 year. Not any issue.

This issue started about 2 months ago.

Not any error message generated since Windows is not neither able to boot properly.

I also updated Windows but no results

Try update your drivers.
Open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.
You may try performing Clean Boot and see if the problem persists?
Have a look at:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-...
It's not possible to RUN in windows. How can I update drivers in windows if it doesn't boot?
Thank you for the clarification.
In case you remove the adaptor, are you able to boot into Windows?
What is the state of your device?
Does it fail to boot?
If yes, is there any error message?
Do you have access to the installation media?
Removing the interface it boots but there are not othe external devices where to update the driver.
The driver is available (on Device Manager) only when the interface is connected.
And also I already said, when windows it's running and I connect the interface, Windows crashes, the PC tries to reboot but it's not capable.
You may remove the interface, then search for the driver in the device's manufacturer website.
Try the Clean Boot and then insert the interface and see if the problem persists?
This is something I already done. But it didn't solve the issue. I'm struggling a lot.
Are you facing the same problem in the Safe Mode too?
Make sure report this issue using the Feedback Hub app, so the Windows team would be able to investigate the issue.
Not able to enter on safe mode either. As I said: impossible to boot. It crashes immediately.

@TormyVanCool 

Most DVI / VGA (D-SUB) to HDMI adapters don't actually convert anything. What you bought is an adapter with a built-in display driver ( typically you need drivers to use them. ) One of the easiest things you could try first, is removing certain bootloader customizations:

1.) Open the Command Prompt -> Start Menu -> Run -> taskmgr -> File -> Run new Task -> %SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe -> Select "Create this task with administrative privileges." -> Click OK.

2.) Run the following script line-by-line, or save it to the desktop as something like Set_BootLoader.bat

@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} QUIETBOOT
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} BOOTUX
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} MSI
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} VGA
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} GRAPHICSRESOLUTION
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} HIGHESTMODE
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} GRAPHICSMODEDISABLED
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} HIGHESTMODE
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} NOVESA
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} NOVGA
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {current} BOOTUXDISABLED

2A.) OPTIONAL: If that doesn't work, try this instead:

@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} QUIETBOOT
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} BOOTUX
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} MSI
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} VGA
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} GRAPHICSRESOLUTION
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} HIGHESTMODE
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} GRAPHICSMODEDISABLED
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} HIGHESTMODE
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} NOVESA
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} NOVGA
BCDEDIT /DELETEVALUE {default} BOOTUXDISABLED

@TormyVanCoolIf that doesn't work, you may have to think about removing display drivers manually to get it to boot ( if that is the actual problem you're dealing with )

list drivers: pnputil -e > <PATH><FILENAME>.txt ( EXAMPLE: pnputil -e > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\driverlist.txt" )
list drivers: pnputil /enum-drivers > <PATH><FILENAME>.txt ( EXAMPLE: pnputil /enum-drivers > "%UserProfile%\Desktop\driverlist.txt" )
list drivers: Export-WindowsDriver -Online -Destination <PATH>
ONLINE -> remove driver: pnputil -f -d oem<NUMBER>.inf
OFFLINE -> Remove-WindowsDriver -Path <PATH> -Driver <NAME>.inf

MKDIR "C:\Scrtch"

REM List All 3rd-Party Drivers on an Offline Windows 10/11 Image
powershell -noprofile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "& {Get-WindowsDriver -Path C:\ -ScratchDirectory C:\Scrtch | Sort ProviderName | Format-Table Driver,ProviderName,ClassName,BootCritical,OriginalFileName -AutoSize | Out-String -Stream}"

REM Create a UTF-8 Text File That Lists All 3rd-Party Drivers on an Offline Windows 10/11 Image
powershell -noprofile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "& {Set-Content -Path 'C:\Driver_List.txt' -value (Get-WindowsDriver -Path C:\ -ScratchDirectory C:\Scrtch | Sort ProviderName | Format-Table Driver,ProviderName,ClassName,BootCritical,OriginalFileName -AutoSize | Out-String -Stream)}"

REM Remove a Driver from an Offline Windows 10/11 Image
powershell -noprofile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "& {Remove-WindowsDriver -Driver oem<NUMBER>.inf -Path C:\ -ScratchDirectory C:\Scrtch}"

REM List All 3rd-Party Drivers on an Online Windows 10/11 Image
powershell -noprofile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "& {Get-WindowsDriver -Online -ScratchDirectory C:\Scrtch | Sort ProviderName | Format-Table Driver,ProviderName,ClassName,BootCritical,OriginalFileName -AutoSize | Out-String -Stream}"

REM Create a UTF-8 Text File That Lists All 3rd-Party Drivers on an Online Windows 10/11 Image
powershell -noprofile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "& {Set-Content -Path 'C:\Driver_List.txt' -value (Get-WindowsDriver -Online -ScratchDirectory C:\Scrtch | Sort ProviderName | Format-Table Driver,ProviderName,ClassName,BootCritical,OriginalFileName -AutoSize | Out-String -Stream)}"

RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Scrtch"

PnPUtil /add-driver * <filename.inf | .inf> [/subdirs] [/install] [/reboot]
Windows Vista: pnputil -a -i filename.inf
DIR /B /S <PATH>*.inf > filename.txt

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/pnputil-command-syntax

Microsoft PnP Utility
Usage:
------
pnputil.exe [-f | -i] [ -? | -a | -d | -e ] <INF name>
Examples:
pnputil.exe -a a:\usbcam\USBCAM.INF      -> Add package specified by USBCAM.INF
pnputil.exe -a c:\drivers\*.inf          -> Add all packages in c:\drivers\
pnputil.exe -i -a a:\usbcam\USBCAM.INF   -> Add and install driver package
pnputil.exe -e                           -> Enumerate all 3rd party packages
pnputil.exe -d oem0.inf                  -> Delete package oem0.inf
pnputil.exe -f -d oem0.inf               -> Force delete package oem0.inf
pnputil.exe -?                           -> This usage screen

Rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DEVICES /DRIVERS /FILES /MAXCLEAN

CleanMgr Commands (Remove Old Device Drivers) -> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Device Driver Packages"

Automating Disk Cleanup tool in Windows -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/backup-and-storage/automating-disk-cleanup-tool
"Creating a Disk Cleanup Handler" -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/lwef/disk-cleanup

Do you have access to the Windows installation media?
If yes, insert it and boot with it and try performing a repair and see if that solved the issue.