Problem Upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 Insider Dev Channel

Silver Contributor

You might observe error or update hang when you attempt to install the Windows 10 to the Windows 11 Insider Dev Channel. This is known issue and to resolve the problem, try move to Beta channel and when you successfully download and install the Beta channel and then switch to Dev channel. This is a known issue and will be fixed in the future build.

10 Replies
Reza, thanks for sharing this valuable information!

@Reza_Ameri 

Windows update (for windows 11) download error 0xc8000402 - Microsoft Community

I think that a higher probability of correct installation - will be after performing these steps, which are in the provided link -> that is, to join the RP Channel. in the Insider program, and only then switch to Beta, or Dev.

Best regards 

This is known issue and Windows team is aware of the case when they want to join insider Dev from Windows 10, it won't work and the workaround is to join Beta and then join the Dev. The Microsoft share the following statement for build 22593:

"Windows Insiders running Windows 10 who join the Dev or Beta Channels to get the latest builds may encounter a download error code 0xc8000402 while trying to download the latest build. As a workaround, please join the Release Preview Channel first, install Windows 11 from there (Build 22000.xxxx), and then switch to the Dev or Beta Channel to receive the latest Insider Preview build. This issue is understood and will be fixed in an upcoming build."

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/04/06/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-225...

@Reza_Ameri 

I still think that the steps that are in the shared link - are correct!

I would like to add that this is the second edition of the Insider Program in which for the Beta Channel and the Dev channel. -> is the same version!

"As a reminder, we are evolving the way we develop and release to Insiders with the Dev and Beta Channels now representing parallel development paths from our engineers. The Dev Channel will be a place where we will try out different concepts, incubate new ideas, and work on long lead items that may not get released to general customers. The Beta Channel will be the place we preview experiences that are closer to what we will ship to our general customers. However, this does not mean every feature we try out in the Beta Channel will ship. We encourage Insiders"

I have already tried from dev and both BETA, when I'm in Dev I'm not even getting an update. but when in Beta getting windows 11 update notification but the following error when I'm trying to update, "There were problems downloading some updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: (0xc8000402)"
also, I'm worried if I'm using the update assistant will i lose my data and drivers.

@ShameelMarvan 

Downloading the update assistant is safe -- >does not delete data, settings and applications, of course a copy of the files can be useful / The assistant will prepare the components for download and perform the update in place.

Good luck 

Thank you, I really appreciate your Help.