How to Solve "This PC Can't Run Windows 11" Issue When Booting from Installation USB?

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone, I'm having trouble installing Windows 11 from a bootable USB. Every time I try, I get an error message saying, "This PC can't run Windows 11." This pops up instantly after skipping the license key screen.

I'm not sure what the issue is, as I believe my hardware should be compatible with Windows 11. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any advice on how to resolve it would be greatly appreciated.

10 Replies

If you came across This PC can't run Windows 11 error, this means the hardware specs is not fully compatible with Windows 11.  You need to upgrade the hardware first, such as CPU or TPM 2.0 chip. Or you can follow this guide to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware:

https://www.y2bsaver.com/bypass-windows-11-requirements

JU9REC6DT9L.jpeg

"This PC can't run Windows 11." Sometimes, the issue lies with the USB drive itself. Try creating a new bootable USB drive using a different tool or a different USB drive. Ensure your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 11:

• Processor: 1 GHz or faster.
  • RAM: 4 GB (2 GB for 32-bit).
  • Storage: 64 GB available space.

@Johnsones 

Oops, this is a real headache. I've encountered similar problems before, and the "This PC can't run Windows 11" error is usually because your computer doesn't meet some of the hardware requirements for Windows 11. Although you think your hardware should be compatible, there are a few key hardware requirements that must be checked:

1. Processor: A compatible 64-bit processor or system-on-chip (SoC) with at least 1GHz and two or more cores is required.
  2. Memory and storage: at least 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage.
  3. System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable support required.
  4. TPM: Requires version 2.0 of the Trusted Platform Module (TPM).

You can use Windows 10's "PC Health Check" tool to see exactly where the requirements are not met. If it's a TPM or Secure Boot issue, it can usually be adjusted in the BIOS setup.

To access the BIOS settings, press F2, Delete, or any other specified key on the boot screen when restarting your computer (this will vary depending on your motherboard). Check if the TPM setting in the "Security" option and the Secure Boot setting in the "Boot" option are enabled.

I hope this information is helpful, and you should be able to install Windows 11 without any problems after making the adjustments! If you still have questions, just keep exploring.

@Johnsones 

Well, if you've checked these basic hardware requirements and are still experiencing "This PC can't run Windows 11", there are a few other things I've tried when I've been in this situation before that may help you as well.

If the hardware actually meets the requirements, but the system still prompts for incompatibility, the Windows installer may be checking the hardware too strictly. In this case, there is a trick to bypass the hardware check:

1. During the installation process, when you first reboot into the USB installation media, press Shift + F10, which will open a command prompt.
  2. Type regedit to open the registry editor.
  3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup.
  4. Right click on Setup and select New -> Key, name it LabConfig.
  5. Under LabConfig, create two new DWORD (32-bit) values, BypassTPMCheck and BypassSecureBootCheck, and set them both to 1.

Doing this will allow the installer to ignore the TPM and Secure Boot checks, and may help you solve the problem. Note, however, that this may reduce system security and is not officially recommended by Microsoft, and should only be considered if there is really no other way.

Visit your PC manufacturer's website and check for BIOS or UEFI updates. Follow their instructions to update your firmware.
And Secure Boot can sometimes interfere with the installation process, you neeh to disable it in your BIOS settings.

If you encounter the "This PC can't run Windows 11" error, it usually means your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements for Windows 11.  

If you are an advanced user and understand the risks, you can bypass TPM and Secure Boot checks. By doing this, you won't see "This PC can't run Windows 11" error from a bootable disk.

• Press Win + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup.
  • Right-click, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU.
  • Set its value to 1.

You can fix this pc can't run Windows 11 error by replacing the appraiserres.dll.

1. Navigate to sources folder within the extracted ISO.
  2. Locate and open appraiserres.dll with a hex editor.
  3. Search for the string tpm and change it to something else (e.g., tmp).

Use Media Creation Tool to create a new bootable USB with the modified ISO.

The CPU is supported according to Microsoft documentation. However, TPM 2.0 and secure boot are not included. Is this the problem that bring up this error?
I am a computer novice and these text based task is really a challenging for me. Any simple way available to fix this pc can't run Windows 11 error? Thanks

make sure your VGA cable is not too long and in good working condition. Thats what worked out for me @Johnsones