How to Launch Windows 11 without Password

Iron Contributor

How to Launch Windows 11 without PasswordHow to Launch Windows 11 without Password

The password's primary aim is to keep prying eyes away from your computer. If you use a local account, you can bypass the login screen and go straight to your Windows desktop every time you power up. However, if you're logged in using a Microsoft account, you must verify yourself at the log-in screen.

Contents

1. How to Disable the Password Option in Windows 11
  2. How to Enable the Password Option in Windows 11
  3. How to Add a Picture Password in Windows 11
  4. How to Setup a PIN Authentication System in Windows 11
  5. What is Netplwiz command?
  6. Is password required for Windows 11?

How to Disable the Password Option in Windows 11

This procedure is just for a local account, not a Microsoft account.

1. Press the Windows key + R at the same time.
  2. Enter netplwiz in the Run window search box field.
  3. The User Accounts window will open. Select the account you want to use to automatically log in.
  4. Check the option that indicates Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
  5. Click the OK button.
  6. Enter your password once, then again to confirm it.
  7. Click the OK button.

Restart your computer and the login screen password lock will now be skipped and directly opens the desktop.

How to Enable the Password Option in Windows 11

1. Press the Windows key + R at the same time.
  2. Enter netplwiz in the Run window search box field.
  3. The User Accounts window will open. Select the account you want to disable the password option.
  4. Uncheck the option that indicates Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
  5. Click the OK button.

Restart your computer and the login screen password lock will appear.

How to Add a Picture Password in Windows 11

1. On Windows 11, open the Settings app.

22 Replies
Uhhh, you got that the wrong way round. Look at check and uncheck and think.....

I know it looks backwards, but following these directions actually makes it so my system automatically logs in without me even selecting a user.

Also by checking that box, it fixed file sharing for me.  File sharing just did not work after I upgraded to windows 11, nobody on the network could access any of my shared folders.  Following these directions to turn off password login fixed file sharing immediately.

@ammarjaved When I open the netplwiz from Run, I just get this window:

julianhansen_0-1679506346852.png

I don't get any option to check or uncheck any box.

How can I prevent the pc from automatically signing in to the non-admin user, when that's the most recently used user?

You need to edit the registry to make that box appear, see here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/838506/how-to-sign-into-your-windows-11-pc-automatically/

@sunnyrio this solution doesn't work - it has no effect.

It works on all my 8 machines. I edited the registry, then the tickbox appears in netplwiz. I select a user, tell it I don't want to enter a password to start the machine, it asks for the password, then from then on, switching on the machine makes it automatically log in as the selected user.

sunnyrio_0-1679868311764.png

@sunnyrio I've used it for years but the tickbox no longer appears even after the registry change. Not only am I now forced to use a password, I have had to change it to something more secure. I think this is following a recent Win 11 update.

I may have done a couple of things differently. Firstly I never ever use that microsoft account crap, I only use a local login. Secondly, my computers have mostly been installed using Rufus (to bypass the monumentally stupid MS requirement of TPM, which hardly any of my machines have). I'm running the latest update AFAIK, winver tells me it's Version 21H2 (OS Build 22000,1696).

@jnmccrt I had the same problem.  I stumbled on to this solution.  It doesn't seem like it should work, but it worked for me. 

1. I shut down all my programs to prepare to reboot.
  2. I typed Windows key + i to bring up the Settings menu.
  3. I typed Windows key + r to bring up the Run window search box.
  4. I entered netplwiz in the Run window search box field (actually, it was pre-filled in from my previous attempt.)
  5. I clicked OK and the User Accounts window came up, but this time the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box was available for me to check/uncheck.
  6. On my system, the box was unchecked, so I checked it (as the instructions advise, even though this seems counterintuitive), clicked OK, etc.
  7. I rebooted and I did have to use my password to log in.  So I repeated the process and unchecked the box this time, rebooted, and voila - I can now start my computer without any password or PIN.

I hope this works for you.

@julianhansen I encountered a challenge while setting up a Zoom Room because the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" was missing on my configuration. As a result, I had to refer to this guide (https://www.stellarinfo.com/article/windows-11-auto-login.php) to edit the registry option and resolve the issue.

@ammarjaved 

Seriously?

login-without-pwd-win11-2.jpg

Okay, this is in German, but you all get the idea i guess.  Find User Account and UNTICK the box that says something like "user must enter usr name and pwd" .. and that should take care of the login nonsense at start-up?

Thanks il really work.
I have tried this check and unchecked, over and over. When I first started turning all this stuff off, Windows settings told me I had to set up a local account. I entered my name as a user name, but Windows told me that was already in use. I entered my name beginning with Mr. and proceeded through the screens. Now, when I check that box, Windows has me log in as Mr. and when I uncheck that box, Windows has me login without the Mr. (or vice versa). I think the box is doing something, but all it does is let Windows revert to some other login demanded on startup. When I am ticking and unticking that box, there is only one user account.
I did not work for me, so I try to place my question here:

What should I do when the procedure with

windows+I and windows+R and then netplwiz and selecting the account does not work?

There is simply no option for deselecting the obligatory password. I always read:

"Uncheck the option that indicates Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

and I see in helps-pictures this line appearing, but it is incorrect.

Why on earth does Microsoft a) make things so difficult and b) does not provide a clear answer in their help documents.

To make at least this clear in my question: I am talking about local login.
0 Likes

@BerndPol 

Had the same issue. I opted for the registry method on this "how to". see the link below. 

My original link was blocked. 

Here's a Microsoft-approved link: 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/user-profiles-and-logon/turn-on-automa...

I followed all the steps described in this link and I have apparently done this successful.
I had two consequences:
- my PC didn't start at all, I had to get help via special keys
- for logon I have to give the password as before:
I lost quite some time and despite the settings for the DefaultUserName, DefaultPassword are as recommended, nothing changed.
The only open question is the number 10 note:
If you have joined the computer to a domain, you should add the DefaultDomainName value, and the data for the value should be set as the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the domain, for example contoso.com..
As I do not believe that my computer is joined to a domain, I did not do anything about this.
;-((

@IT-Analyst 

I have tried so many way to remove the startup password.   When I tried to regedit, I don't have a password option that comes up.  Can someone please help me? 

@starrlight341 

per Microsoft article,

“If the DefaultPassword value doesn't exist, it must be added. To add the value, follow these steps:”

@IT-Analyst 

What's the steps?  None are listed?