How to create Windows 11 Installation media from USB drive?

Copper Contributor

Hey there, tech enthusiasts!

I hope you're all doing well. I really need some guidance for creating a Windows 11 installation media. I'm planning to install Windows 11 on my PC, but I'm not entirely sure about the steps involved in creating the installation media.

Could someone provide me with a step-by-step guide on how to create the Windows 11 installation media with the USB drive? Additionally, if there are any specific requirements or things I should be aware of before starting the process, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your help!

11 Replies

I am using Win-Boot-Mate and it is better than Windows Media Creation Tool. You can easily make a Windows 11/10/7 bootable USB. It also helps you install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware.

https://www.tekgit.com/create-windows-11-bootable-usb

aabccsss.jpeg

Make sure the USB drive is over than 4GB and a fast 3.0 drive will be much better. There are free and paid Windows 11 media creation tools you can use. Just avoid using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool as it is not working on old BIOS computers. The USB drive is not bootable and you can not use it to install Windows 11.

@CharlesMr 

Creating Windows 11 installation media may sound like it's complicated, but the steps are actually pretty straightforward, I was a bit hesitant to try it for the first time before, but following the steps step-by-step was actually pretty easy.

First of all, make sure you have a large enough USB flash drive, at least 8GB of space, because the Windows 11 installation file is quite large. Then your computer has to meet the system requirements for Windows 11, such as support for TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot, which can be found in your computer's BIOS settings, or if you're not quite sure, there's a PC Health Check utility on Microsoft's website that can help you check.

Here's what I did, first I went to Microsoft's official website and downloaded a tool called "Media Creation Tool". You can download this tool from Microsoft's website, run it, select your language and system version, then plug in the USB flash drive and let the tool write the files into it. In this way, a bootable USB flash drive for installing Windows 11 is ready. Hope this can help you!

UNet-bootin (Universal Netboot Installer) is a nice tool that supports creating bootable USB drives for various operating systems, including Windows 11. It is an open-source application that allows users to create bootable media from ISO files or by downloading distribution files directly from the internet. 

The tool's simple and intuitive interface makes it easy to create Windows 11 installation media, even for those with limited technical knowledge. UNet-bootin also offers features like persistent storage, which allows users to save changes made to the live system on the USB drive. This feature can be particularly useful for creating a portable version of Windows 11 that retains user settings and files across reboots.

Spent two days working with Windows 11 Media Creation Tool but it did not work at all in my case. Unlike some third-party tools, the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool does not offer advanced options for configuring the installation media. Users cannot specify custom settings for the partition scheme, file system, or additional drivers. This lack of flexibility can be a drawback for advanced users who need more control over the installation process.

The Media Creation Tool downloads the full Windows 11 installation files (6GB). This can be problematic for users with slow or limited internet connections. The tool does not provide an option to pause and resume downloads. Additionally, the download size can consume a significant amount of data, which may be a concern for users with data caps or metered connections.

In short, It is not an ideal tool for creating Windows 11 installation media!

If your USB drive is slow, it might take longer to create the Windows 11 installation media. The creation process might take some time. Before using the USB drive, double-check its contents to ensure everything looks correct.

@CharlesMr 

Then I'll share my experience with you. I've tried to use Windows 11 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for Windows 11 before, but I often run into problems with it not recognizing USB flash drives. This situation can be quite frustrating, especially when you are sure that the USB drive is perfectly fine and is otherwise recognized by the computer.

Due to this problem, I started exploring other ways to create a Windows 11 Installation media USB. I ended up using a tool called Rufus, which is a very reliable third-party tool that can help create all kinds of boot disks, including a Windows 11 installation disk. Here are the steps to create a Windows 11 installation media using Rufus:

Of course, here's a simplified version of the steps to create Windows 11 installation media using Rufus:

Download and install Rufus: download and install from the Rufus website. https://github.com/pbatard/rufus

1. Prepare a USB drive: Make sure the USB has at least 8GB of space to plug into your computer.
  2. Download Windows 11 ISO: Download the Windows 11 ISO file for your system from Microsoft's official website.
  3. Configure Rufus:
  4. Open Rufus and select your USB drive.
  5. Click the "Select" button to find and load the downloaded ISO file.
  6. Set the "Partition Scheme" to GPT for UEFI boot.
  7. Start Making: Click "Start" and confirm the formatting prompt, Rufus will start making the boot USB.

After completing these steps, your USB drive will be turned into a Windows 11 installation media, which can be used to install or reinstall Windows 11.

Ven-toy is a newer tool that offers a unique approach to creating bootable USB drives. Instead of formatting the USB drive and copying the installation files, Ven-toy allows users to copy the ISO files directly to the USB drive. This means that users can create a multiboot USB drive with multiple ISO files, making it a highly flexible solution for those who need to work with different operating systems.

One of the standout features of Ven-toy is its simplicity and efficiency. Users only need to install Ven-toy on the USB drive once, and they can then add or remove ISO files as needed. This makes it a convenient tool for those who frequently test or install different versions of Windows or other operating systems. Ven-toy also supports UEFI and Legacy BIOS modes for creating Windows 11 installation media from USB flash drive.

Personally, the most important thing is this: Go to the Microsoft website and download the Windows 11 ISO file. Make sure to select the correct version (Home or Pro) and language.
Thanks. But the media creation tool is stuck on Windows 11 ISO download for two hours. Is this normal?
Yes. I am using a USB 3.1 drive with 32GB free space. Is should be fine for creating a Windows 11 installation media, right?