CPU usage 100 in Windows 11

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone, recently I was casually checking my task manager and I saw my CPU (AMD Ryzen 5 5600) usage was at 100 for no apparent reason. the highest resource consuming app was the task manager itself. so to double check, I checked MSI Afterburner, and the usage was normal. I don't see any change in performance or anything, all my apps work smoothly (no heating issues either). Even at the time of writing this, its at 100%. Is it just my task manager being weird or there's some big problem?

Here is a screenshot of both of the apps running together:-

Screenshot 2023-01-19 120802.png

8 Replies

@Sujyot 

I am seeing the same issue too. I'm using AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (6-core processor).

I see that in task manager, my CPU is reported to utilize for 100% for several hours.

And checking MSI Afterburner, it was reported only at around 10%. My CPU temp is reported by MSI afterburner to be around 65 Celsius. The highest usage reported seems to be Citrix HDX engine at around 25% and Task manager 20%.  Why the discrepancy reported by Task Manager vs MSI Afterburner is the question. I noticed this happened like more than a month ago. My desktop also runs normally.

Looks like you're on MSI laptop and the MSI Afterburner is like a tune-up utility from MSI. For better assistance, I recommend you to check with MSI support on this issue.
Hello. Thanks for the reply but I don't think that MSI support is gonna help me in any way cause afterburner is showing the actual statistics, it's the Task manager which is being weird. :\
Yea and also, i don't have an MSI laptop, It's a custom PC build.
Your cpu may be running in only 1 core
No? You can clearly see in the screenshot that all of the cores of my cpu are being used (the graph of cpu 12 usage). and i dont think you can run games like forza horizon 5 on the max settings on one core without any problem.
same issue with me but when your connected to internet its not using 100% of cpu. its problem in window 11 i guess

@sukhmander 

try to turn off STORAGE BOOST in msi dragon center

@MatJon75 thanks for this. You have reduced my cpu usage from 100% and temps of 79° to 3% and 32° simply by uninstalling this MSI garbage bloatware. :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes: