Windows XP Registry Editing

Copper Contributor

Morning,

I am working on resolving a screen blanking issue on a Windows XP operating system.  I have configured the group policy in the first instance to prevent screen lockouts from occurring after a period of time.  Secondly, I have went into the desktop settings for the administrator account and the user account and set all of the power option properties to Turn off monitor & Turn off hard disks to Never and Never.  Finally, after the screen was still blanking after 15 minutes, I located within the registry editor within WindowsNT/Terminal Services a MaxIdleTime of 900000 milliseconds, which equates to 15 minutes.  I modified the time by a factor of 1000 to 900 000 000 milliseconds within the administrator account, which in turn was reflected upon the user account.  However, post re-boot the registry setting reverted to 900 000 msecs.  Do I need to export the current registry key prior to editing it and then import it in order for the amended value to remain after re-boot?  Or is it the case I need to create a new registry key with the increased value for the time to be increased.  I am also wondering if the MaxIdleTime needs t be in increments of 15 minute periods up to a maximum threshold.  Thanks.

0 Replies