SOLVED

Windows 10 1903) How to change Default Encoding UTF-8 to ANSI In Notepad?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

does anyone know if you can re-enable ANSI encoding by registry in the notepad, instead of the default UTF8 encoding, which is given since Windows 10 version 1903. 

==================================================

Important!!!

It's suspected to be a bug in Windows and hasn't been fixed in four years, and the only alternative is to change the default editor to Notpad++ or change the encoding settings on save. Thanks, Microsoft.

10 Replies

@HotCakeX 

My question is to change UTF-8 to ANSI. I'm not curious about changing from ANSI to UTF-8.

- In Regedit go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Notepad

- in the menu select edit/new/DWORD

- in the DWORD name enter iDefaultEncoding and enter value 1 as hexadecimal (it will automatically display as 0x0000001 (1) once you press OK)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Notepad]

"iDefaultEncoding"=dword:00000001

1 = ANSI ; 2 = UTF-16 LE ; 3 = UTF-16 BE ; 4 = UTF-8 BOM ; 5 = UTF-8

@cam_amoi

Very helpfull.
You should not by any chance have the value corresponding to "1252 Western Europe (Windows)" as well ?

@frode66 

1 = ANSI is "1252 Western Europe (Windows)" on all Western Europe, USA, and Canada versions of Windows 

@cam_amoi I followed the procedure and entered 1 for ANSI. I then saved the file as an
ANSI file but it is still saving the files in UTF-8.

@Larry6631 same here I still have no clue how to change it back to ANSI :(

@Larry6631 

Go to regional options (From run window, run intl.cpl),

click on Administrative tab,

click "Change System Locale"

and make sure checkbox is off for "Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support" (requires reboot when changed)

best response confirmed by WIWIO (Copper Contributor)
Solution
It's suspected to be a bug in Windows and hasn't been fixed in four years, and the only alternative is to change the default editor to Notpad++ or change the encoding settings on save. Thanks, Microsoft.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by WIWIO (Copper Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post