Why I will never buy another windows machine. Microsoft Case Nr 1435885127

Copper Contributor

I just wanted to upgrade my notebook from Windows 10 Home to Pro. Should not be a big deal right. 

Went to the Windows Store. Clicked on upgrade to Win Pro. Got a very informative error message that said something went wrong. Called and got thru to Tech support. Gave them my information and my call back number. After an hour of troubleshooting we managed to get the upgrade started. Right as it was finishing the call dropped. That was the first in a series of 4 times that my call got dropped. 

According to the next tech that I talked to there is a bug and I did not get Windows 10 Pro but instead I got Windows 10 Enterprise and that there is no way to fix without backing up my files and reinstalling to get back to my previous version of the OS. I asked to speak to a supervisor and got Will from Tech Supporst in Costa Rica. He was not helpful at all and when I asked him to transfer to Second Level Support he transferred me to the group that supports assisted support for windows. Talk about incompetent. Call got dropped as they transferred me. 

Called back in, asked to speak to 2nd Level Support, the persons said that they would have to first do some troubleshooting, As we were troubleshooting, the call got dropped. 

Bear in mind that no one called me back despite first getting my call back number at the beginning of the call. 

So basically I have to restore my machine and will probably not bother with the Windows 10 Pro upgrade. But I do have to call back and get a refund. 

As a former Microsoft Certified System Engineer I would have hoped that the new Microsoft would have fixed their processes and procedures but it seems that they can't even keep the phone calls from dropping.

A simple license upgrade and now 4 hours later I am writing this note. Totally Unbelievable. 

Their employees seem totally disengaged, no one seems to care. I can not begin to tell you how different my experience is with Apple employees. They solve the problems and follow up.  

I wish that there was some way to let Microsoft Management know just how bad their service is and that a simple upgrade is so fought with bugs and lack of support. 

Is there anyway to correct this license problem without have to reset my machine?

Thanks,

Steve

2 Replies

08:48 AM 8-4-18—live chat

What's up!? My name is Dallon, and I'll be helping you out today :)

Dallon H, 08:48 AM

Case 1432795366--why is my Office 365 still not fixed?

08:49 AM

Let me look at your case real quick :)

Dallon H, 08:49 AM

Looks like you were waiting for an update, yeah?

Dallon H, 08:52 AM

yes, why can't you guys fix the printing problem right NOW?

08:52 AM

I understand this is super frustrating Melvin, give me a few minutes to look into it further since I want to make sure I fully understand the situation

Dallon H, 08:55 AM

OK--I don't want to have to rehash it again for the XXX number of times

08:55 AM

I completely understand I know this can be frustrating. I looked over your past cases, and this seems to be a bigger issue that our engineers are working tirelessly on to get that patch out sometime within the next month. I hate to say that since I do not have certainty to when that would be, but I have been told that the update should be out by the end of the month.

Dallon H, 08:59 AM

Another thing, I do have this link for you if you would like to fill this out since it will go directly to the engineers https://office365.uservoice.com/

Dallon H, 09:00 AM

Once again I do not they are working as hard as they can on this fix since it is a bigger issue right now and we want it gone as soon as possible

That is NOT acceptable--are you folks knowingly selling DEFECTIVE Office365 Products--it must be if you cannot fix my defect right now, it means that every Office365 sale since I got mine is not working. I feel like I am being lied to in hopes I will go away. If I don't get some straight answers I will file a defective product complaint with the FTC

09:02 AM

I really do apologize Melvin, this is a very frustrating and hard issue and I really hate that I can't give you a better answer at this time. With the engineers, they normally don't have a set schedule of when they're going to release the fixes because these things require messing around with the code of the product to release the fix. With the timeframe, they're normally pretty accurate so I would say to expect a fix within the next month but if it's a more complicated issue like this one seems to be, it might take more time unfortunately to find a complete fix. We are trying to be as transparent with you about the fixes and the updates as we can be and we never want to feel like we are lying to you, and I truly apologize if you feel that we are doing that. The issue is that we are just as in the dark as you are about the release of the update, so we can only speculate and give general answers like you've been getting previously

Dallon H, 09:07 AM

We always appreciate your feedback and again, I want to apologize for making you feel as though this issue is on the backburner. Since we don't have a fix for this, we don't want to waste your time on chats because we don't have any more troubleshooting that will fix the issue so we want to let you get on with your day rather than being stuck with us on a chat that's not going to help the issue.

Dallon H, 09:09 AM

To confirm then--all of the Office 365 sales from early July are not printing correctly and are defective--right.

09:09 AM

Powere09:09 AM

Not all of them are having this issue, but there is a large enough group of people that are having similar or the same issues so Microsoft engineers are working on an update to cover this issue and get it fixed. Since there is such a large population using the Office products, we can't confirm that everyone is having this issue because people use the products differently and have different software and printers, etc that could also be causing some problems. I'm not trying to pass this off because this is definitely something that is on Microsoft to fix, but we are working to find a fix for this or a workaround, but we just don't have that information as of now unfortunately

Dallon H, 09:12 AM

OK, thank you for confirming that Microsoft is knowingly selling a defective product.

09:14 AM

With software, things are ever changing and there are many moving parts. Microsoft's intention is not to sell a defective product because for many people, the software is working perfectly. This issue is part of a minority of products that are having trouble and it is in the process of being fixed - hopefully in the very near future. Again, I'm really sorry that this is happening to you, and I wish there was more I could do to help at this time. If you would like, I'd love to extend your subscription further to account for this usage issue, if you would be interested? I'm very sorry but this is the only thing I am able to offer at this time, other than submitting a ticket to that link I gave you earlier and hoping that the update will be released shortly!

Dallon H, 09:17 AM

This doesn't make sense as well--if there are versions that are working properly--why can't you swap out my defective version and install one that's actually working? Including, all the work that needed to be done migrating data and Outlook which took forever.

09:19 AM

I'll try to clarify. The product uses all the same code across the board, but it causes some issues on individual cases on how customers are using the product. With the ones that are working properly, they might not be using the product as you are in this instance or they might not have the same other software, printer, etc that are pulling data from the Office products so they're not having the same issues that this specific instance is. With customers trying to use the Office products in the same way as you, they seem to be having some trouble with that specific function, which is where the issue comes from. Not everybody uses that function in the same way as you, so not everybody has issues, and while all the products are the "same", it depends on usage of the product and whether or not it will work

Dallon H, 09:22 AM

OK, thanks for some added clarification--but printing landscape would not seem to be all that special or rare. To make matters worse, your tech guys went into my computer and tried to fool the applications--this TOTALLY screwed everything and now I can't print straight in Portrait--how's that for a royal mess up. This is what your guys left me with going on almost a month now. I have been reduced to printing on my old Window7/Office 2007 machine that works perfectly fine. Needless to say I am furious about this mess piled upon mess. I will be ending our chat now and going to the link you provided.

09:27 AM

Of course, again I'm very sorry about this whole mess, I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating and I hope that we get a fix for this for you ASAP. If you'd like, I could set up another callback with Tier 2 to see if they can correct the mistake that they started earlier, but it's completely up to you and I'm here to help as much as I'm able. I'm glad that you have the other machine to work from in the meantime and I just want to get you the best help available for right now. I truly apologize that this has been such a terrible experience and I hope that we can make up for this in the future through the fix and any support you may need in the future on any other issues you may have. I wish you luck in this issue and if you ever need any more assistance, always feel free to come in and chat with us again - we're here for you and don't forget that! Is there anything else I can do for you while you're here?

Dallon H, 09:30 AM

I will have to think about doing another Tier 2 call--I wasted more than 6 HOURS with them before they even acknowledged there was a Build 008 problem and then proceeded to mess around with my settings (not telling me what they were doing), doing downloads, and then leaving me with a mess that was WORSE than when it started. I don't know if I can stomach that a third time--after repeatedly telling them is a Office365 software problem and nothing to do with my printer, printer driver, or installation procedure! Ending our chat now.

09:34 AM

Not sure you got my reply--same deal of incompetence and actual deceptive sales practice, they seem to be knowingly selling a defective Office365. 

08:48 AM 8-4-18—live chat

What's up!? My name is Dallon, and I'll be helping you out today :)

Dallon H, 08:48 AM

Case 1432795366--why is my Office 365 still not fixed?

08:49 AM

Let me look at your case real quick :)

Dallon H, 08:49 AM

Looks like you were waiting for an update, yeah?

Dallon H, 08:52 AM

yes, why can't you guys fix the printing problem right NOW?

08:52 AM

I understand this is super frustrating Melvin, give me a few minutes to look into it further since I want to make sure I fully understand the situation

Dallon H, 08:55 AM

OK--I don't want to have to rehash it again for the XXX number of times

08:55 AM

I completely understand I know this can be frustrating. I looked over your past cases, and this seems to be a bigger issue that our engineers are working tirelessly on to get that patch out sometime within the next month. I hate to say that since I do not have certainty to when that would be, but I have been told that the update should be out by the end of the month.

Dallon H, 08:59 AM

Another thing, I do have this link for you if you would like to fill this out since it will go directly to the engineers https://office365.uservoice.com/

Once again I do not they are working as hard as they can on this fix since it is a bigger issue right now and we want it gone as soon as possible

That is NOT acceptable--are you folks knowingly selling DEFECTIVE Office365 Products--it must be if you cannot fix my defect right now, it means that every Office365 sale since I got mine is not working. I feel like I am being lied to in hopes I will go away. If I don't get some straight answers I will file a defective product complaint with the FTC

I really do apologize Melvin, this is a very frustrating and hard issue and I really hate that I can't give you a better answer at this time. With the engineers, they normally don't have a set schedule of when they're going to release the fixes because these things require messing around with the code of the product to release the fix. With the timeframe, they're normally pretty accurate so I would say to expect a fix within the next month but if it's a more complicated issue like this one seems to be, it might take more time unfortunately to find a complete fix. We are trying to be as transparent with you about the fixes and the updates as we can be and we never want to feel like we are lying to you, and I truly apologize if you feel that we are doing that. The issue is that we are just as in the dark as you are about the release of the update, so we can only speculate and give general answers like you've been getting previously

Dallon H, 09:07 AM

We always appreciate your feedback and again, I want to apologize for making you feel as though this issue is on the backburner. Since we don't have a fix for this, we don't want to waste your time on chats because we don't have any more troubleshooting that will fix the issue so we want to let you get on with your day rather than being stuck with us on a chat that's not going to help the issue.

Dallon H, 09:09 AM

To confirm then--all of the Office 365 sales from early July are not printing correctly and are defective--right.

09:09 AM

Powere09:09 AM

Not all of them are having this issue, but there is a large enough group of people that are having similar or the same issues so Microsoft engineers are working on an update to cover this issue and get it fixed. Since there is such a large population using the Office products, we can't confirm that everyone is having this issue because people use the products differently and have different software and printers, etc that could also be causing some problems. I'm not trying to pass this off because this is definitely something that is on Microsoft to fix, but we are working to find a fix for this or a workaround, but we just don't have that information as of now unfortunately

Dallon H, 09:12 AM

OK, thank you for confirming that Microsoft is knowingly selling a defective product.

09:14 AM

With software, things are ever changing and there are many moving parts. Microsoft's intention is not to sell a defective product because for many people, the software is working perfectly. This issue is part of a minority of products that are having trouble and it is in the process of being fixed - hopefully in the very near future. Again, I'm really sorry that this is happening to you, and I wish there was more I could do to help at this time. If you would like, I'd love to extend your subscription further to account for this usage issue, if you would be interested? I'm very sorry but this is the only thing I am able to offer at this time, other than submitting a ticket to that link I gave you earlier and hoping that the update will be released shortly!

Dallon H, 09:17 AM

This doesn't make sense as well--if there are versions that are working properly--why can't you swap out my defective version and install one that's actually working? Including, all the work that needed to be done migrating data and Outlook which took forever.

I'll try to clarify. The product uses all the same code across the board, but it causes some issues on individual cases on how customers are using the product. With the ones that are working properly, they might not be using the product as you are in this instance or they might not have the same other software, printer, etc that are pulling data from the Office products so they're not having the same issues that this specific instance is. With customers trying to use the Office products in the same way as you, they seem to be having some trouble with that specific function, which is where the issue comes from. Not everybody uses that function in the same way as you, so not everybody has issues, and while all the products are the "same", it depends on usage of the product and whether or not it will work

Dallon H, 09:22 AM

OK, thanks for some added clarification--but printing landscape would not seem to be all that special or rare. To make matters worse, your tech guys went into my computer and tried to fool the applications--this TOTALLY screwed everything and now I can't print straight in Portrait--how's that for a royal mess up. This is what your guys left me with going on almost a month now. I have been reduced to printing on my old Window7/Office 2007 machine that works perfectly fine. Needless to say I am furious about this mess piled upon mess. I will be ending our chat now and going to the link you provided.

Of course, again I'm very sorry about this whole mess, I'm sure it's incredibly frustrating and I hope that we get a fix for this for you ASAP. If you'd like, I could set up another callback with Tier 2 to see if they can correct the mistake that they started earlier, but it's completely up to you and I'm here to help as much as I'm able. I'm glad that you have the other machine to work from in the meantime and I just want to get you the best help available for right now. I truly apologize that this has been such a terrible experience and I hope that we can make up for this in the future through the fix and any support you may need in the future on any other issues you may have. I wish you luck in this issue and if you ever need any more assistance, always feel free to come in and chat with us again - we're here for you and don't forget that! Is there anything else I can do for you while you're here?

Dallon H, 09:30 AM

I will have to think about doing another Tier 2 call--I wasted more than 6 HOURS with them before they even acknowledged there was a Build 008 problem and then proceeded to mess around with my settings (not telling me what they were doing), doing downloads, and then leaving me with a mess that was WORSE than when it started. I don't know if I can stomach that a third time--after repeatedly telling them is a Office365 software problem and nothing to do with my printer, printer driver, or installation procedure! Ending our chat now.

09:34 AM