Taskbar Icons are getting disappeared

Brass Contributor

The taskbar icons are getting disappeared, I have tried to restart the Windows Explorer service from the task manager, updated display adapter driver from device manager and performed SFC scan but there was no luck. Has anyone come across such an issue and had found any fix?

Windows Version 1903

OS Build 18362.418

7 Replies
Hi,
which icons are getting disappeared exactly? do they include built-in app icons ? such as email, file explorer, store app? or only 3rd party programs' icons disappear?
From bottom left, only Windows and Search box is visible and at bottom right, only date/time is visible.

Pinned apps such as File Explorer, Microsoft Apps (Outlook, Word, Excel) and third party apps such as Webex, etc. are disappeared. Even the hidden icon tray, or internet connection option on taskbar is not visible.
That's strange, do you remember when it started to happen exactly? like after installing a software, installing an update, changing a settings etc?
Not that i remember, it started before 2 days and its intermittent. Sometimes the icons appears again after 2 or 3 reboots or restarting the File Explorer services for 5 to 6 times. I tried uninstalling the latest windows update as well, but no luck.

One of my friend has also noticed the same on someone else's laptop, so it's not just me.
Could be that the systems are infected.
you can try refreshing your Windows from the settings. I would do that cause that problem seems to be so annoying
Yes, may be the systems are infected. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Symantec Endpoint Protection as well. The Symantec policies are also in place. As of now 4 users from my organization has reported this issue, expecting more on Monday.

I will try to create a new user profile to see if it resolves the issue. Let me know if you have any further suggestions.

Thanks a lot!
You're welcome.
I usually watch videos from this channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePCSecurity
he does pretty good tests on AV products.

you can try Kaspersky Internet security free trial (30 days), update it and do a full scan, see if it detects anything.
it looks like a malware is spreading in your network