Recycle Bin delete logging

Copper Contributor

Can someone please explain why $I (Index) files are getting deleted when I empty the recycle bin.

When I delete files they go into recycle bin and depending on the drive say C, the location of the file is C:\$Recycle.Bin\X-X-X-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX\... where X-X-X-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX\ is my security ID.

Along with the file in that location, there is an index file whose name start from $I..., this contains the meta information and can be parsed using the tool https://df-stream.com/recycle-bin-i-parser/.

When I delete the files from the recycle bin, they are permanently deleted from the location above but the corresponding index file still remains for some files. They use to be there for the older files I deleted and I can keep track of what I deleted using them. But now I checked the index files are getting deleted as well when I empty the recycle bin. Can someone please help me fix this so index file always remains on my computer so I can keep track of what I am deleting.

0 Replies