SOLVED

MBR2GPT layout validation failed

Copper Contributor

Hey all,

I am having a problem regarding the Master Boot Record to GUID Partition Table conversion with my new PC that has a fresh install of Windows 10. (I forgot to turn off CSM before install in the bios so the windows install was using the Master Boot Record) 

Whenever I try to convert using the 'mbr2gpt /convert /disk:1' command in Windows PE I keep recieving an error saying 'Disk layout validation failed for disk 1'

Could anyone help?

Thanks.

6 Replies

Hi @HKDuffman

Please make sure that the system meets the below requirements.

• There should be a maximum of three primary partitions in the MBR partition table
  • You should not have any extended/logical partition, all three partitions must be primary partitions.
  • If you have more than three partitions, you must delete the least important partitions after backing up the important data.
  • You must have 1 system partition (OS).
  • You must have an active partition.

I hope the above information could be helpful for you, please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance, I will welcome the questions you may have.

best response confirmed by HKDuffman (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Please follow the below link, I hope that Microsoft's official document could be helpful for you.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt#disk-prerequisites
Thank you for help! That fixed the issues.

@HKDuffman 

I'm glad that the above information was useful for you. Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance, I will welcome the questions you may have.

@SalmanAhmed hello can you help me I also have this issue? 

@ali_zogaj 

Read the above messages and follow the links. That fixed the issue for me.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by HKDuffman (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Please follow the below link, I hope that Microsoft's official document could be helpful for you.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt#disk-prerequisites

View solution in original post