SOLVED

Lock screen no password prompt - can't log back in - multiple computers

Iron Contributor

We have at least 15 machines in our organization that have a random problem coming out of sleep or lock screen.   It happens maybe once per day where the lock screen shows fine, but when you press a key to get to the password prompt, there is no prompt.  The screen just fades to the background image, and hangs there (no password box).  After maybe 30 seconds it returns to the lock screen.  This keeps happens for a while.  Usually if the user waits long enough (maybe 3-5 minutes), they may finally get a password prompt.  That or we have to force a shutdown and reboot.  It doesn't matter if we click, press space bar, ctrl+alt+del, they all do the same.  These are all windows 10 machines, some with 1709, some with 1803.  It is happening on many different hardware models (Dell, Microsoft, Lenovo).   I think it only happens on wireless, but it can be any wifi (home, corporate).  There is also no consistency with user/computer GPO's.  

Searching online for this shows some history of this over the years, but nothing consistent.  Fixes usually involve safe mode with a sfcscan or windows repair.  However, with this happening on so many different machines, all in the last few weeks, I suspect something else.  One thing I tried was to change the "Credential Manager" service to automatic, but that did not make a difference.  Has anyone else seen this recently?   Any suggestions on how to resolve?  

4 Replies
Hi,
since you mentioned that it only happens on wireless devices, i think your Windows OS is fine.
i suspect the problem is in the WiFi connectivity, when the client computer wakes up from sleep, it tries to contact a server and that connection might be problematic, maybe it's slow or loss of connectivity happens for that period of time.
you can try with Ethernet cable just to be sure or you can change the Wireless Network Adapter on the client machines to see if it makes any difference.
best response confirmed by Eric_H (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@HotCakeX, Thanks, we found that updating the machines to a newer windows 10 version fixed the issue.  I believe the issue was on 1803, and updating to 1809 consistently fixed the problem.    

Happy to know you got it fixed!
Yeah the 1709 is rather a bit old but you don't have to update if it works for you.
yes after that there are 1803, 1809 and the latest one which is 1903. these are all stable builds. i'm on 2003 (insider build) set to be released in 2020.

@HotCakeX, oye, sorry, I meant from 1803 to 1809.   I updated my response.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eric_H (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@HotCakeX, Thanks, we found that updating the machines to a newer windows 10 version fixed the issue.  I believe the issue was on 1803, and updating to 1809 consistently fixed the problem.    

View solution in original post