KB5013942 causes apps to not open

Copper Contributor

When my workstations install KB5013942, 50% of their apps will not start. This includes Office apps, Bluebeam, AutoCAD, Google Chrome, and many many more. After uninstalling the update, everything goes back to normal. I have searched all over and have seen plenty of people having issues with this update but no fixes. This is a real issue for my client. We have updates paused on affected computers in hopes of MS fixing the update. Now computers are starting to install updates again and having the problem all over. Not sure what to do at this point. Any help would be great. Thanks All.

4 Replies
Hello,

If the update is causing new issues, you can use official Show or hide updates tool to block and skip the update:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-block-specific-windows-update-in-windows-10

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

@Kapil AryaThank you for the suggestion. I will try this again. I believe I tried this and it did not show me this update to hide. I will try again and let you know the result. Thank you.

We found our issue. It was a service by a software monitoring tool called Softrack. After updating to the latest Softrack version the issue was fixed. Thank you. Hope this info may help others.
Thank you!
To make your answer visible and help others -> please mark it as (best answer) :)