I am concerned about thee 1909 update and how it might affect my desktop

Iron Contributor

I have an older Dell XPS desktop. When the 1903 update came it somehow messed up my profile. For example my profile went from C:\Users\Rod to C:\Users\Rod.000. I learned how to work around it, but that's the way it is now. Having seen what happened last time I'm very concerned what might happen this time when the 1909 update gets installed. Especially since I'm guessing applying the update means it can't use a temporary profile, like Rod.000, since for the last several months that is now my profile. 

Should I be concerned about this? Should I prevent the 1909 update, and all subsequent updates, from being installed?

5 Replies
Hi,
it's a small update, nothing like 1903, and I don't think you have to worry about it. just remove the Rod.000, let Windows use the normal users/Rod folder.

@HotCakeX Remove Rod.000? Everything I have is under that profile. The old C:\Users\Rod only has 1 thing in it, the AppData folder. But C:\Users\Rod.000 also has an AppData folder as well as everything else, such as the Documents, Downloads, Desktop, Dropbox, Favorites, Pictures, Music, etc., under it.

So you have to find a way to merge them, otherwise you're gonna have more problems in the future updates.

the best thing to do is to create a 2nd profile, make it local but administrator.
then sign out of your Rod profile, sign into the 2nd profile, move all the personal files from Rod and Rod.000 folders to the root of C drive (C:\) then delete that user account completely.

now you will only have 1 account which is a local admin, connect it to your Microsoft account again and start moving all your personal files back to their appropriate folders this time only keep 1 user folder.

there is also another option,
copy your Rod and Rod.000 folders to another partition like (D:\), install 1909 update and see how it goes. if anything happens, you will still have all your data in other partition.

also it's good to enable OneDrive sync for important folders such as documents and pictures.

@HotCakeX oh WOW. Man, I wish that applying 1903 hadn't screwed me as badly as it did.

About 2 months ago I started to try to do something like what you said. I tried copying everything out of Rod.000 into someplace else (I don't remember where). However, my Rod.000 profile has over 150K files in it and the size is at least 50 GB in total size. File Explorer reported that it would take over 24 hours to perform the copy. Since this desktop is used by several people, that's very inconvenient. I do have a second HD in this machine with plenty of space, so I could start to do that. But it's going to be very slow. Both HD's are the old style platter drivers, they're not SSD drives.  If I try to do as you suggest, then is it possible to get the copy going in a local admin account using File Explorer, then log out of that account so others can use this machine? Or should I just say this is it, everyone leave the machine alone while it tries to make a copy?

And what of all the apps I've got installed on this machine? Will I lose access to Visual Studio, SQL Server Developer Edition, the whole Office 365 suite, etc?

Wow 24 hours.
that much time for 50GB file is ridiculously high, even when I try to move 500GB file from my external hard disk which is 10 years old and uses USB 2, it won't take that long.
but I know why it does that, it's because of the number of the files, you know the small files.
if for example you had 1 file and it was 50GB, it would takes a lot less.
you could try disabling your Antivirus or Windows defender first as I'm sure it starts scanning all those files one by one when they were being copied.

it's safer to let it do its job, I don't wanna say something else and then it lead to data loss etc.
also there are 3rd party programs that supposedly speed up the copying process, maybe they are better at handling lots of small files. one of them is TeraCopy which I heard good things about.

about the apps, if they are installed for all users then you're fine, but if you installed them for only one user and that user happens to be the one you're trying to delete, then you'll have to reinstall those programs as well.
you can test this by going to just any other account other than your main one and see if you can open those programs.