How to reset windows 10 password without losing data?

Copper Contributor

Hey everyone,

Windows 10 asks me changing the password a couple of time sin one year. Unfortunately,  I've forgotten the login password to my admin account since last change and currently locked out. I have a lot of important files and applications C drive, so I'm trying to find a way to reset Windows 10 password without losing any data.

I've seen various methods online, but I'm hesitant to try them without knowing if they're safe and won't result in data loss. Does anyone have experience with this situation? I'm looking for a step-by-step guide on how to reset my Windows 10 password without losing any of my files or installed programs.

Any advice on tools or methods that are particularly user-friendly for non-tech savvy individuals would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!

3 Replies
If this is a local account, you would need the earlier created password reset disk to reset password.

If you've no such disk, you need to make clean install and that would be done after removing your data.

However, if you've Microsoft account login, you can reset your password online for the Microsoft account email ID and then try login with new password on your device.

Hope this helps!

@Barneymmc 

A password reset disk can be a great help for this.  It is a security measure designed to allow users to regain access to their computers if they forget their login password. It is typically created on a removable storage device, such as a USB flash drive, and contains a specific key that can reset the account password. The creation of this disk must be done while the user has access to their account, as it requires the current password to set up.

The reason a password reset disk can reset a Windows 10 password without losing data is that it directly interacts with the Windows login mechanism. Instead of cracking or bypassing the password, it provides a legitimate way to reset it. This method is supported by Windows security protocols, ensuring that the process is both safe and sanctioned by the operating system's design.

When a user forgets their password and cannot access their Windows 10 account, they can insert the password reset disk into their computer and follow the prompts at the login screen to reset their password. This process allows the user to create a new password, effectively regaining access to their account without the need to reinstall the operating system or perform any actions that would risk data loss.

[Update]: If you forgot to create a Windows 10 password reset disk, please follow the below guide to create a new password reset disk and use it to reset Windows 10 password without any data loss.

https://www.iseepasword.com/online-help/windows-password-recovery.html

windows password recovery pro win10 pc.jpg

The preservation of data is a significant advantage of using a password reset disk. Since the process does not involve altering the system's files or settings beyond the password, all user data, programs, and configurations remain intact. This makes the password reset disk an essential tool for individuals and organizations aiming to maintain data integrity while ensuring secure access to Windows 10 systems.

If you're locked out of your Windows 10 admin account and want to reset the password without losing data, you can try the following method using the Windows 10 installation disk or USB:

Note: This method requires you to have administrative privileges or access to another administrative account on the computer.

1: Create a bootable USB or DVD using the Windows 10 ISO file. You can download the ISO file from the official Microsoft website.

2: Insert the bootable USB or DVD into your computer and restart it.

3: During the boot process, enter the BIOS settings by pressing the key indicated on the startup screen (typically F2, F10, or Del). Inside the BIOS, set your computer to boot from the USB or DVD.

4: Save the changes and exit the BIOS. Your computer will now boot from the Windows 10 installation media.

5: On the Windows Setup screen, select your language preferences and click "Next."

6: Click on "Repair your computer" at the bottom left of the screen.

7: On the next screen, select "Troubleshoot," then "Advanced options," and finally "Command Prompt."

8: In the Command Prompt, you will need to identify the drive letter of your Windows installation. Type the following command and press Enter:

diskpart
list volume

Identify the volume with the "Size" matching your C drive.

9: Exit Diskpart by typing "exit" and pressing Enter.

10: In the Command Prompt, type the following command to navigate to the System32 directory:

cd /d VOLUME:\Windows\System32

Replace "VOLUME" with the drive letter of your Windows installation.

11: Next, create a backup of the original Utilman.exe file by typing the following command:

ren Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.bak

12: Now, make a copy of the Command Prompt executable (cmd.exe) and rename it as Utilman.exe using this command:

copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe

13: Close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.

14: When you reach the Windows 10 login screen, click on the "Ease of Access" icon at the bottom left. This will open Command Prompt.

15: In Command Prompt, type the following command to reset your password:

net user YOUR_USERNAME NEW_PASSWORD

Replace "YOUR_USERNAME" with the username of your locked admin account, and "NEW_PASSWORD" with the new password you want to set.

16: Close Command Prompt and log in to your admin account using the new password.

17: Once you have successfully logged in, open File Explorer and navigate to your user profile folder (C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME). You should be able to access all your files and applications.

18: After gaining access to your files, you can restore the original Utilman.exe file. Restart your computer and log in as usual.

It's important to note that while this method doesn't involve direct data loss, it's always recommended to have backups of your important files and data.