How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos on Windows 10?

Copper Contributor

I need help recovering some permanently deleted photos on my Windows 10 computer. I accidentally deleted them from the Recycle Bin, and I don't have any backups available. These photos are really important to me, and I'm hoping there's a way to get them back.

I've heard there might be software or methods to recover deleted deleted photos on Windows 10, but I'm not sure where to start. Can anyone recommend effective tools or provide a step-by-step guide on how to recover these photos? 

10 Replies
Login the OneDrive account from a web browser and check if the photos are uploaded. If yes, this is the best way to recover deleted photos on Windows 10.

@Xavierao To recover permanently deleted photos on Windows 10 from OneDrive, first check the Recycle Bin on your OneDrive account. Deleted items remain in the Recycle Bin for 30 days by default. Log into your OneDrive account through a web browser, navigate to the Recycle Bin on the left panel, and restore the deleted photos if they are still available.

As I know. Using file history is an excellent way to recover deleted photos from Windows 10 PC. Steps are as follows:

1. Go to the Settings app on your Windows 10 computer.
  2. Click on the "Update & Security" option.
  3. Select "Backup" from the left sidebar.
  4. Click on "More options" under "Backup using File History".
  5. Check the box next to "Turn on system image backups".
    Click "Save changes".

This will enable File History, which will start creating backups of your files, including your photos, at regular intervals.

Why not use the Command Prompt if you are going to recover permanently deleted photos on Windows 10.

• Open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
  • Type chkdsk C: (replace C: with the drive letter where your deleted photos were located) and press Enter.
  • This will scan your drive for errors and potentially recover deleted files.
Be cautious when using data recovery software, as it may overwrite your deleted files if you write new data to the same location. Try to avoid using your computer until you've recovered deleted photos on Windows 10, as this can increase the chances of overwriting them.
Is it possible for permanently deleted photos to be recovered again? If new data is written to the same location where the deleted file was stored, the original file becomes unrecoverable.

@Xavierao 

If you use OneDrive, it is possible to recover permanently deleted photos on Windows 10! OneDrive saves historical versions of files, so you can try to recover previously deleted photos. Just log in to the OneDrive website, find the folder where the photos are stored, and check the "Version History" to see if there is an older version you need. This feature is very useful, especially if you accidentally delete a file. I hope this helps you!

Simple steps below:

1. Open a browser, visit the OneDrive website (https://onedrive.live.com/login/ ) and log in to your account.
  2. Find the folder where your photos are stored in the OneDrive file list.
  3. Select the file or folder you want to recover, right-click or view options, and then select "Version History". This will show the different saved versions of the file.
  4. Find the version before you deleted it in the version history, and click the "Restore" button next to it to restore to that version.

With these steps, you should be able to recover photos that you accidentally deleted on OneDrive. I hope this method helps you!

@Xavierao 

You can try Recuva. I have used Recuva before to recover some accidentally deleted files, including photos and documents. This tool is quite intuitive. After downloading and installing, it will guide you through a few simple steps to scan and recover permanently Deleted Photos on Windows 10. I remember that time I accidentally deleted an important work folder from the USB. After scanning with Recuva, most of the files were recovered, which was a great help.

But, Recuva also has its shortcomings. The success rate of recovering files is not 100%, especially those that have been deleted for a long time, because if the disk space is overwritten by new data, those files will be difficult to recover completely. 

NOTE: Try not to write anything to the drive you are trying to recover files from.

If the data is very important to you, you can consider seeking professional data recovery services, they usually have more advanced tools and techniques to recover deleted photos from Windows 10. At the same time, do not use your hard drive again to avoid data being overwritten, which will make it even more irrecoverable!

@JessicAnderson 

I don't recommend Recuva! My experience with Recuva was a bit mixed. I tried to recover deleted photos on Windows 11 and was disappointed. Some files could not be recovered at all, and some files that could be recovered could not be opened because they were corrupted.

In terms of operation, some of Recuva's settings are quite complicated for people who are not very tech-savvy. I had to check the scan options several times before I understood how to set them.

Also, if the hard drive to be scanned is large, the speed is really unbearable, especially the deep scan, which feels like the waiting time is endless.

So, although Recuva is free, if your data is really important, you may still consider using some more reliable recovery services.