How do I convert JPG to ICO on Windows 10 computer?

Occasional Reader

How do I convert JPG images to ICO format on Windows 10? I have several images that I'd like to use as icons, but I’m unsure of the best method to perform this conversion. I've tried a few online converters, but I want to ensure that the quality remains high and that the process is straightforward.

If anyone could provide a step-by-step guide or recommend reliable software for this task, I'm eager to find a solution that works efficiently on my Windows 10 computer without compromising the integrity of the images.

5 Replies
ICO files are commonly used for application and desktop icons. By converting JPG images to ICO format, you can create custom icons for your applications, folders, or desktop.

Don't just slap any JPG image through the conversion process without considering its size. Icons come in specific dimensions like 16x16, 32x32, and 256x256 pixels. If you use a super high-res image and don’t resize it, you’ll end up with a bloated ICO file that takes forever to load in applications. Use a simple tool like Paint (it comes with Windows) to resize your image before converting jpg to ico on Windows 10.

Do you know how to convert JPG images to ICO format Windows 10 PC? Open your JPG in Paint, click on “Resize,” and choose the dimensions you want. Just keep in mind that you might need to save it in BMP format first before using a converter if you’re DIY-ing it. After conversion, go ahead and use the icon on your desktop or folder. Right-click, select “Properties,” and check it out under the “Customize” tab. Make sure it looks crisp and clear at various sizes.

If transparency is important, consider using a PNG file instead of a JPG for your conversion. PNGs support transparency, and most converters handle that easily. Open that PNG in your preferred graphics software before conversion to ensure the background is transparent where needed.

If you are looking for a best JPG to iCO converter. Let's see how GlMP convert jpg to ico Windows 10 computer.

1. Open Your JPG File: Launch GlMP and open the JPG file you want to convert by selecting File > Open.
2. Adjust Image Size (Optional): Icons are typically small (e.g., 16x16, 32x32, 64x64 pixels). You can resize your image by going to Image > Scale Image.
3. Export as ICO:

• Click on File > Export As.
  • In the export dialog, choose the file type as ICO by selecting Microsoft Icon (*.ico) from the dropdown menu.
  • Give your file a name and choose the location to save it, then click Export.
  • You may be prompted to select options for the ICO file; just follow the prompts to finish.

You can also use specific jpg to ico converter software that is dedicated to image conversion, such as:

• lcoFX: A professional icon and cursor editor that allows you to convert images to ICO format.
  • ImageMogick: A command-line tool that can convert images with various commands. You can install it and use it in the command prompt for conversion.