SOLVED

Desktop window manager high memory usage

Copper Contributor
I am on Windows 10 and Desktop window manager is making high use of memory. How I can control it?

I am on version 20h2 if that matters. Pls help
19 Replies
best response confirmed by RameshV1555 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @RameshV1555,

Try this video fix and see if it helps you:

Hope this helps!

*This reply was updated to make sure the information is still valid.

Try run the Windows Update and download and install all updates.

Make sure update your graphic card driver too.

You may open start and search for feedback and open the Feedback Hub app and report this issue.

Thanks Reza!

@RameshV1555  Editing the registry as shown in the video is unnecessary. In task manager>Processes tab, right click the 'Desktop Window Manager' entry and select 'Go to details'.

This will take you to the 'Details' tab of Task Manager, showing a detailed view of the running 'DWM.exe' process. There may be one or more instances of DWM.exe running, and if so, right click on the process showing the highest memory usage, and select 'End task'.

Your screen will turn black (with the exception of the mouse cursor) as DWM.exe restarts for a moment, but will result in returning to the screen as you left it and clearing the memory without needing to reboot your system.

Again, this is NOT a permanent solution, but a quick fix until Microsoft and Intel can address what is causing the memory hole issue.

When I tried Ramesh's solution, I found that the registry key he suggested deleting was already absent but I was still experiencing the high memory usage issue. However, terminating the offending process, as Xternai suggests at least provides a work around.
thanks so much for this
I can't believe all the genious's out there. The way to fiz Memory Overuse is to TURN OFF FAST START. End of story. YOU HEAR ME MICROSOFT???? Sheeeeesh.
I have following the process, but I got no "ForceEffectMode". I'm on Windows 11.

I am having the same issue. I have rolled back drivers, updates, etc. and nothing has worked. It's getting pretty annoying.

@FyreLite07 

Turn off "FAST START" and reboot

thanks..this worked...weird that fast start was the issue..

@Rich_TroianoRT7 

tried all the different results in the thread, unfortunately desktop window manager is still using about 400mb of memory and about 25% of gpu power. any idea how i can fix this?

@Kapil Arya 

Telling someone to delete an item out of registry with no explanation. NO BUENO!

Then restarting pc and 'miracle' the memory is fixed - WRONG! of COURSE the memory is fine on start up.

This advice is CLASSIC Microsoft, devoid of any sense of responsibilty for the BUGGY and BLOATY software that is the elephant in the room - that needs fixing (not some half-baked 'solution' from a random dude on YT).

Except like any snake oil, this is just a COINCIDENCE, and this is NOT the actual solution, but it's good you have such a confident opinion, should go and work for MS!

Working at MS, of course you get all the latest hardware with squigabytes of memory, so bloat and bugs like this don't affect them.

For the rest of us, it's just more obfuscated nefarious MS chow we have to chew on and like it.

@RossC137 Turn off FAST START

Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Hibernation is OFF (Fast Start requires Hibernation on).
dwm.exe uses 8GB RAM, only one DWM.exe running.
I upgraded from 16 to 32GB to handles this, but how can I get rid of dwm.exe when Fast Start is not enabled????

powercfg /availablesleepstates
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Hibernate
Hibernation has not been enabled.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
Hibernation is not available.

Fast Startup
Hibernation is not available.

@RossC137 

You should see mine. My DWM uses as much as 5,000 MB of Memory when it's having issues. My computer mostly only has issues after I've had documents opens for a while. But the memory usage won't go back down unless I restart my computer. Closing all applications just brings it down to a low 2,000 MB. Restarting brings it back to 100 MB or less.

I will say though, when I look at the registry for DWM, I do for some reason have 21 separate "DwnInitSessionActivityId"'s Which I feel like is where the problem lies.

But can I get rid of those? Or are they important?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RameshV1555 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hello @RameshV1555,

Try this video fix and see if it helps you:

Hope this helps!

*This reply was updated to make sure the information is still valid.

View solution in original post