Could we have a shortcut that just cycles between virtual desktops?

Copper Contributor

I'm just starting to use virtual desktops and it's odd that they are "in a line with ends" in the interface. If you only have two open and can't remember whether the one you're in now is "on the right" or "on the left", you have a 50% chance of the shortcut you choose doing nothing (referring to ctrl+Win+Right and ctrl+Win+Left).

Is there a reason that continuing to press one shortcut doesn't cycle back around to the other side of a "loop"?

Could something like "Ctrl+Win+Up" be used to just cycle through desktops, or maybe switching to the most recent other desktop like "Win+Tab" used to do for "most recent Window"?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or a duplicate. I'll gladly re-ask it elsewhere if needed.

1 Reply

@askrahn 

What you are mentioning has been a part of Linux virtual desktops for the better part of 30 years.  Perhaps Microsoft is trying to make a differentiating factor; something to set themselves apart from all the X Window managers out there.  Also, it might be too confusing for the average user. Like in x86 assembler, who actually uses ror and rol?  Shl and shr are far more intuitive and useful. 

I'm not a M$ employee, but perhaps the typical use-case of virtual desktops involves more than 2 of them.  I typically use 4.  There are many products that offer virtual desktop functionality to windows.  If you are fan of Mark R's "Sysinternals" tools, which feel alot like unix because of alot of posix type stuff they utilize, try out this desktops.exe.  It is fantastic, simple (you can set it up as alt or control plus 1-4 switch to windows 1-4.)   And its lightweight.  60K, in fact.  For an operating systems that takes 28.5GB out of my total 30GB primary drive, I only get 1.5G for programs and user data.  (the drive is welded to the laptop somehow. very depressing.)   Here you go: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/desktops (and if you really want to have the hotkeys wrap-over from left to right and vice versa; that would only take a few lines of Auto-Hot-Key (AHK) source.