Blue screen of death (CPU issue) after some Windows Update/ Workstation Pro version 15.5.7

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Hope someone working in software development of Microsoft is reading this.

I'm using VMware Workstation Pro version 15.5.7

I have some Win 10 guests (version 21H2) which haven't been updated for quite a while (meaning more than a year), so I did Windows Updates inside those VM.  But after a few installations and reboots, I got Blue screen of death on ALL of them.  The stop code is UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR. (cf image)

BSOD-Win10-WU.png

I thought maybe it's due to the version 21H2 of Windows 10.  So I installed a new VM from scratch, and this time using version 22H2.  But I still got the BSOD.  Of course I don't know if the problem comes from Microsoft or VMware, but I hope both companies could investigate into this matter because it's very serious.

BSOD did not stay on screen forever.  The system went on to automatic repair and Windows finally loaded up.  But personally I don't like repaired O/S.  There might be still some damages to the O/S.  After the repair, it needed to install some other Windows Updates and once again, BSOD!

The KB5023696 Windows Update caused this BSOD.  Could someone take a look into this matter?

3 Replies
As I've written, it's introduced by KB5023696 in my post.
Is that the answer you expect from your "why"?

@tfseak 

yes, MTC Community - these are users who help each other, in this case -> only Microsoft Support is appropriate, there you can pass error logs, etc.

Best regards

I would first download the latest - drivers from the manufacturer's website :)