"You'll need a new app to open this about link"

Copper Contributor

I have a custom app running inside of Microsoft Teams. Everything works as expected when running it inside the Teams web application. Running it inside the Teams desktop application breaks part of my custom app. 

The issue arises when making a request to any web API. That could be the Microsoft Graph API or a custom one I've build for the custom, client application. Instead of getting data back when making the request, I get a popup stating

"You'll need a new app to open this about link".  Look for an app in the Microsoft Store. Yes/No. 

I've tried all kinds of different things. Different providers, SSO vs Azure Auth. 

Any help would be highly appreciated. 

Regards,

Tolga

5 Replies

@kemaltolga - This behaviour is expected. The Teams Desktop Client doesn't allow apps to open windows via window.open. You need to use authenticate API as documented here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/platform/tabs/how-to/authentication/auth-flow-tab

@kemaltolga -Could you please confirm if your issue has resolved with above suggestion or still looking for any help?

@kemaltolga I had the same problem. Oddly (or maybe intentionally), every time I clicked a Teams Meeting "join meeting" link in a gmail message, Chrome opened and I received a message that no default app exists for handling this type of file (msteams). After many attempted fixes, I decided to forward the gmail to my outlook.com email account; when I clicked on the same "join meeting" link within the outlook app, Edge opened, the file handling notice did not pop up, and I was able to connect to my Teams meeting. I have repeated this experiment with the same results.

@emelybradley 

I have the same issue. Teams will not open via link. I did notice that in the default apps area, MS-Teams is the correct formatting not msteams as the link keeps showing.

@mj0ffe ,@emelybradley - Are you developing Teams App?