Surface Hub 2s - SSD harddisk replacement

Copper Contributor

Hi. Is there a possibility to replace the ssd harddisk on the surface hub 2s with a bigger one? is there a ssd compatibility issue or can we use a random one? 

3 Replies

@Andreas-N 

Yes you can upgrade the SSD. It comes with a 

• M.2 NVMe SSD
  • Toshiba
  • 128GB
  • PartNo: KBG40ZNS128G

Do a search on Amazon and you can find upgrades up to 1TB.

See the attached images below of the compute module. You will see the access bay for the SSD.Surface Hub2S Compute Module InternalSurface Hub2S Compute Module InternalSurface Hub2S SSDSurface Hub2S SSDSurface Hub2S Compute Module ExternalSurface Hub2S Compute Module External I also opened up the main casing in the hope that there would be end user serviceable RAM modules, but as you can see its a big box with little in it and no option to upgrade the RAM. Another missed opportunity by Microsoft. 

Amazon also sells M.2 NVME SSD Cloners.

Remember to disable Bitlocker BEFORE removing the SSD and attempting to clone it. 

Hello @Andreas-N,

Just to add on @NRG-LECL's reply, unless you're planning on using Windows 11 Pro/Enterprise on the Surface Hub you should not have the need to install a larger capacity SSD. Surface Hub Teams OS will delete the session data which, besides security, ensures there will be available free space for the next session. 

Best regards,

Cezar

@Cezar Cretu 

Good point of clarity Cezar. I should confirm I have upgraded to Windows 11 Enterprise. I can confirm it runs well even with the limited 8GB RAM. Using on demand OneDrive saves local storage space. Storage space on the 128GB SSD with Win11 installed and operating as a shared user device with M365 E3 ccounts and some additional collaboration tools (Visio, Miro) it still has 65GB of space.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-hub/surface-hub-2s-migrate-os