Set Our Own On Hold Music

Iron Contributor

Our President has asked that our on hold music be changed. I have a track that we have permission from to use from our campus jazz. I am having difficulty to figure out how to get the new track to be recognized. I thought I had it figured out that I could simply swap out the file with the new file, but of course it was not that easy. I found the file we hear now located in:

C:\Program Files\Skype for Business Server 2015\Application Host\Applications\Call Park\Media\cpsmoh.wma

So, I swapped it out with another file, but does not appear to resolve the issue. Still hear the same music when on hold. Digging further, I found the following steps which I tried and still not working:

Set-CsClientPolicy Global -EnableClientMusicOnHold:$TRUE

$a = Get-Content -ReadCount 0 -Encoding byte “path to file"

Set-CsCallParkServiceMusicOnHoldFile -Service ApplicationServer:sk.ourserver.edu -Content $a

Still cannot get it to work. Still hearing the default hold music. I found the above steps on some blog sites, but also tried information I found on some Microsoft sites. Still no luck. Any help is appreciated.

We are a hybrid set up with Skype for Business. Any help to change over our would be appreciated.

Thank you!

John

10 Replies

Test it with a local path first (only for some test users with client policy assigned to them) It should work if the file format and the reference is right.  Let me know what you get and I also look into a system to get a working example. 

George,

Thanks for the reply. I tried doing it globally, but still not working. I cannot get it to recognize the new sound file I put into place. What am I missing? Did I have the correct steps with the commands that were issued or do you have additional information on this process?

John

Does anyone else have any ideas on making this work? I was hoping to have this in place by Monday, but still struggling to get it to work. I thought I would need to do the change on our main Skype server, but maybe it needs to be done on one of the other servers.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

John

Any help on this issue? Anyone else gone through the same thing? Any hints? Help!

The trick to this usually is that you need to push the file out to your users PCs and then specify a local path that is consistent across all the users PCs.

-jonmck

@Jonathan McKinney, thank you! I was trying to set it globally which is looks like how it is set currently as the setting is greyed out within the Skype for Business client to set hold music. Do you have steps if I want to try what you are recommending? I am happy to give it a try as I have a location I can place an audio file that all of users can access.

Thank you!

John

This blog I found should help... I think the big difference is the path you were doing was on the server and not the client machine

http://skype4businessinsider.com/skype-for-business/how-to-set-on-hold-music-in-skype-for-business/

-jonmck

@Jonathan McKinney, thank you! I believe that's where I got the commands I had entered in my original post. It does not appear to be working even though all the commands succeeded when I entered them in the system.

John

This did lead me to try to restart the service for "Skype for Business Server Call Park" which now it appears the music I created is working for call park, but still nothing for calls that are simply placed on hold. I did not see restarting the service mentioned in the blogs I found or the one you had sent me to. Any ideas if there is another service that needs to be restarted? If so, what is the service?

Thank you!

John

Anyone else have a solution to get hold music to work? I was able to get it to work with parked calls after restarting the service, but unable to get it to work for regular call that is put on hold which is what we are wanting to change.