SharePoint server 2019 Service Applications

Brass Contributor

I have configured a new farm with different servers filling all the required roles but there is something going on with the service applications. For example, on the 'Services in Farm' page I click Manage Service Application next to User Profile Service and it takes me to the Service Applications page and there is no User Profile Service provisioned and this is true for almost all the normally pre-provisioned service applications. The server with the search role indicates the SharePoint Server Search is running but it isn't provisioned in Service Applications and there are no databases provisioned in SQL for all of these things that are provisioned based on the role. Am I missing something here?

2 Replies

@sterbella  You still have to provision the service applications after you add the servers to the SP farm.  The Server roles assigned tell SP where to run the services, it does not auto provision them.

@JoshMcClanahan If I hadn't already done a trial install a few weeks back on some test servers I might agree. The problem is, during that install all of the the service applications were automatically provisioned during the install process. Another point is, when i manually provision a service application it is automatically started on all farm servers not just the server(s) for the corresponding role. It's a mystery but i have a call with Microsoft in a few minutes and hopefully  we'll get this figured out.