Sharepoint List Sync Issues

Copper Contributor

We are using Sharepoint Online.

Since a few days we are experiencing some sort of  Sync Issues in Sharepoint Lists. I don't even know what exactly is syncing, but I have attached a screenshot where there is a small icon and the tooltip roughly translates to "synchronizing the changes... "

It only occurs on some lists, not all, also not all users are affected the same way. 

The symptoms besides the small icon, are, that wa are partly unable to create new list items. Some Users see only old entries and so on. 

We have tried to turn off the offline capabilities, but nothing changed. We also checked the size of the list. There are at least two lists with less then 50 entries, so also List size cannot be the root cause for this. We also use json formatting and flows, but the problem also occurs on lists without json formatting and without flows. 

Are there any ideas what to do?

Is there someone with an tennant in englisch language who has the same problem and can check what is the exact tooltip text in englisch? Googling the german phrase gives me less than 5 resulst :(

marek_siatkowski_0-1679671667092.png

24 Replies
We experience similar issues. Clearing the cash solves the issue one time, but returning to the list a second time the issue occurs again. The issue is consistent on a device: occurs both in Teams and in Edge and for different users. But it's inconsistent across devices: I may have the issue on the Windows laptop at work, while opening the same list on my Mac at home works completely fine.

@bwijnands @marek_siatkowski 

Check if this Microsoft documentation helps: Common issues syncing Microsoft SharePoint lists offline 

If not, raise support ticket with Microsoft directly: Get M365 support - online support 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

@marek_siatkowski wrote:

We are using Sharepoint Online.

Since a few days we are experiencing some sort of  Sync Issues in Sharepoint Lists. I don't even know what exactly is syncing, but I have attached a screenshot where there is a small icon and the tooltip roughly translates to "synchronizing the changes... "

It only occurs on some lists, not all, also not all users are affected the same way. 

The symptoms besides the small icon, are, that wa are partly unable to create new list items. Some Users see only old entries and so on. 

We have tried to turn off the offline capabilities, but nothing changed. We also checked the size of the list. There are at least two lists with less then 50 entries, so also List size cannot be the root cause for this. We also use json formatting and flows, but the problem also occurs on lists without json formatting and without flows. 

Are there any ideas what to do?

Is there someone with an tennant in englisch language who has the same problem and can check what is the exact tooltip text in englisch? Googling the german phrase gives me less than 5 resulst :(

marek_siatkowski_0-1679671667092.png

@marek_siatkowski are you still facing the same issue?

@marek_siatkowski 

We have the same situation here. We are not syncing any items offline, still this sync errors and tooltip appear. We just experienced this in the last days in a list, where we set up a field validation. 

cheers

Haider

We are experiencing the same issue. Some users see old version of an item. Icon is stating that sync is complete less than a minute ago. In version history user can see the latest version with all adjustments. But in the list the data comes from a previous version. More strange, when version is part of the view you see the latest version number but other data still comes from previous version.
Same issue is described in this old thread https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sharepoint/sharepoint-caching-problems-with-lists/m-p/2870798

Solution in thread to set this registry key seems to work on our side [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\OneDrive] "DisableNucleusSync" = "dword:1"

Option also given by MS in https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/lists-sync-policies

@themove Yes, it ist still unresolved. Like mentioned above, clearing the cache does only help for short time. We will try the suggested modification of the registry. 

We have a user with the same issue - it's a rather small lists with only 44 entries, and it occured after she trie to add 2 more entries with attachments. They did'not show up in info (to me) as something that was added to the list, and they are not visble to anyone else but her. At the same time she can not see others resent entries. It seems to be stuck on trying to sync.

We cleared cache and it worked, but after restarting the browser it went back to the exact same issue as before. Odd thing is that she is now able to see the correct synced version in a webpart, but when she clicks "See all" and goes to the list, she can no longer se the new entries and she has the sync issue.
Having the same issue...Following.

@ganeshsanap 

We've fixed it. it indeed was in the sync policies. Our engineer used this threat to fix it (links to the same sync policy article): SharePoint Caching Problems with Lists - Microsoft Community Hub 

@bwijnands Great, I am glad you go it working now. 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@marek_siatkowski 

We are facing the same issues as of a few months ago. I'm trying to update 1,000+ records and i have had to do this over and over and over. I do not understand what is syncing and why this is all of a sudden happening. We have been in SPO since 2020, never experienced this issue until now.

We are facing issues as of this week. When colleagues switch to classic mode they see all items, but not in the modern mode.
Same issue here for one user, just started yesterday after several years.
Same issue. Noticed it today and the last known date at it was working was 2023-09-20.
We are having the same issue as well. It worked well a week ago. Has anyone had any updates from Microsoft? This seems to be due to a change on their side

@Vighough We also have multiple users since 2 weeks that are having this issue.

Clearing cookies works, but after a refresh or reopening the browser the issue returns.

As a workarround the affected users are working with an InPrivate session to continue their work.

@marek_siatkowski I'm having the same issue. Across the following devices:

• Work PC
  • Personal PC
  • Android personal phone

The issue wasn't too bad at first (early Sept) and would occasionally correct itself, but now it's getting out of hand.

I'm especially in need of a fix for the phone, but haven't seen any suggestions for that yet.

we experience the same issue. we have a SharePoint list that has15 items. We added the list onto a Teams Channel. The issue starts back to May, and it is still on going.

when a user create a new item through the Teams Channel, it sticks at syncing and eventually failed.

The current workaround is to add a new item using browser in Incognito mode.

Is there a way to address this so that a user can create new list items through Teams Channel tab