Sharepoint list - Comments icon not displayed

Copper Contributor

In one of my SP Online Lists, I don't see the comment icon when I bring the mouse cursor on that item. I do see the comment icon in the ribbon. The comments are enabled for this list. 

See the picture below:

Amiryunus_0-1648202251993.png

In another list, I see this information. See picture below:

Amiryunus_0-1648201673054.png

I've checked that the list settings are the same for both lists. 

Please help

Thanks

7 Replies

@Amiryunus 

I have also noticed this and cannot find how to make this appear? wish comments were a specific field that showed if an item had comments and or had new comments and if you wanted to see them you could dig deeper.

I'm having the same problem... and not finding any fix online :(
Having exact same issue here, desperately need help.
Have tried to go to List Settings->Advanced Settings, but guess what the whole "Comment Section" disappears!

@JohnnyJSU 
I learned that formatting the title column (which displays the comment icon) will wipe whatever code displays that icon.  So, if you have formatted that column, try restoring to default formatting. The icon might come back. It worked for me. 

@Amiryunus @JohnnyJSU 

If you have applied any JSON column formatting to SharePoint default "Title" column in the list view then it hides the comments, share and context menu (...) options which are visible on hover of list item.

So, you may need to remove the JSON formatting applied on Title column or use the comments option from other places like command bar or list form as mentioned here: SharePoint Online: All you need to know about Commenting in Lists   

@Seanredmond You can show if list item has comments or not using SharePoint JSON formatting. Check this article: Working with SharePoint Online/Microsoft List Comments using JSON Formatting 

ganeshsanap_0-1695806955801.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

I have this issue in newly created lists. therefore it's not the JSON which would be an obvious issue of course but it's not relevant for me.

@geoniko This seems like a issue at Microsoft end. I have seen few other users also complaining about this issue in their tenant.

Check this thread for more information: Title Column in LISTS does not show functionality anymore 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.