SOLVED

SharePoint 2016 - Newsfeed showing MicrofeedException. Internal error 54

Brass Contributor

Hi, 

I have built out a new SharePoint 2016 environment and I am getting an error being reported for the Newsfeed web part, stating :

SharePoint returned the following error: The operation failed because an internal error occurred. Internal type name: Microsoft.Office.Server.Microfeed.MicrofeedException. Internal error code: 54. Contact your system administrator for help in resolving this problem.

Newsfeed - Error 54.PNG

I believe this is also causing the following issue with the User Profile page for each user:

User Profile Page - Error 54.PNG

Unfortunately I don't seem to be getting any errors logged in the ULS logs or Event Viewer. Additionally I don't see any issue with the Distributed Cache being reported when I check the Cache Health. 

I believe that error 54 refers to ServerErrorFetchingPublishedFeed but I am not sure what would cause this to be the case. 

Do anyone have any advice? 

Thanks in advance!

James.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by AaronCouch (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Just a quick follow up to this as I have now resolved this issue. 

It appears that whilst SharePoint and the Distributed Cache weren't reporting any errors anywhere, I did find that when I tried to follow a team site by clicking on the follow site button then I received a warning message stating that "The trial license had expired" even though the license in SharePoint was being reported correctly.

I had to run PSCONFIG.exe -cmd secureresources and the newsfeed and profile pages started working correctly. I think there was a slight delay in the newsfeed on the profile page to stop saying "We're almost ready!" as the timer jobs caught up. 

Hope this helps someone. 

James.

Another case was solved by deactivating and reactivating the Site Feed feature (in Site Settings -> Manage site features). The content of the list was lost but it worked again.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AaronCouch (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Just a quick follow up to this as I have now resolved this issue. 

It appears that whilst SharePoint and the Distributed Cache weren't reporting any errors anywhere, I did find that when I tried to follow a team site by clicking on the follow site button then I received a warning message stating that "The trial license had expired" even though the license in SharePoint was being reported correctly.

I had to run PSCONFIG.exe -cmd secureresources and the newsfeed and profile pages started working correctly. I think there was a slight delay in the newsfeed on the profile page to stop saying "We're almost ready!" as the timer jobs caught up. 

Hope this helps someone. 

James.

View solution in original post