Migration from Documentum to SharePoint Online

Copper Contributor

Hi,

We are planning towards migration of documents from Documentum to SharePoint Online.

Are there any trusted tools that does the following for migration from Documentum to SharePoint Online:

1. Scanning and identification of Sensitivity information like Personally identifiable information. 
  2. Scanning and identification of issue with files like invalid characters in filename, file path too ling, etc
  3. Migration of documents from Documentum to SharePoint Online.
  4. Migration of document metadata in Documentum to SharePoint Online along with the migration of document.

Please suggest an appropriate tool.

Thanks.

3 Replies

@Rizwan Ansari I haven't done this with Documentum but I have with other Document Management Systems. I used PowerShell to read the source document metadata (from the SQL database, but you can do this same for other data source types) and then upload the document to SharePoint Online and apply the metadata.

I've posted some details here: https://steveknutson.blog/2019/05/03/upload-files-to-sharepoint-library-subfolders-with-powershell/

Documentum has an API that could be used to access metadata and documents. 

https://www.xillio.com/connectors/easy-migration-of-content-to-from-emc-documentum

Hi@Rizwan Ansari ,

I don't know of a tool to do it but when we have been doing file transfers from 3rd party document management systems like eDocs for example we have always exported the files and meta data to a file store first then imported the documents using ShareGate. This made the process easier so we weren't reliant on some complicated custom scripts to get the files from one system into SharePoint.  

In terms of timings for migrations and data integrity this method is a lot easier to manage.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

Andy

@Rizwan Ansari the Proventeq Migration Accelerator does fill those requirements.