SOLVED

How to select which site columns to show in a list metadata form?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I've created a common task list for my team. I've figuerd out how to re-order and remove site columns from the metadata form when creating a new task. What I would like to do is to show only the important columns when the form appears, with the opertunity to see more coloumns on the form if I expand it. I believe I've seen this done before, but I can't find the settings to to it.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by hun_kat (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You can't do this out of the box, one of the other list templates has a drop down section for a couple items like this, maybe events list, don't remember.
The next question is are you using SharePoint Online, and if so is this List you have using the modern UI or are you using an old task list template that uses classic design, or are you using an on-prem version of SharePoint.

If you're online and using a modern UI list, then PowerApps would be the way to go to customize the form, then you can show and hide any columns you want with some simple Buttons, or conditional formula's to show / hide fields.

On-prem you could look at infopath for it as well, or a custom developed solution of some kind.
If this is OnPremises, you also have the JSLINK option that allows you to customize SharePoint list forms in a quite flexible way. For SPO, best option is PowerApps
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by hun_kat (Copper Contributor)
Solution
You can't do this out of the box, one of the other list templates has a drop down section for a couple items like this, maybe events list, don't remember.
The next question is are you using SharePoint Online, and if so is this List you have using the modern UI or are you using an old task list template that uses classic design, or are you using an on-prem version of SharePoint.

If you're online and using a modern UI list, then PowerApps would be the way to go to customize the form, then you can show and hide any columns you want with some simple Buttons, or conditional formula's to show / hide fields.

On-prem you could look at infopath for it as well, or a custom developed solution of some kind.

View solution in original post