Group Email Address "Not Available" When Creating A Team Site

Copper Contributor

I am trying to set up a new Team Site for one of our customers. When creating the Team Site we are now getting prompted for a Group Email Address (as shown in the dialog box below). I have edited out the customer name below, but suffice to say that no matter what name I try for the Site Name, the Group Email Address is never acceptable, and I can never get past this stage. 

JonathanStone_1-1666261966991.png

We used to be able to set up Team Sites without having to enter the Group Email Address, and I don't need an email address associated with the Team Site anyway. Is there any way past this? 

thanks, 

2 Replies

@Jonathan Stone You should not get this error if you are entering unique name for M365 group email address.

However, if you want to create a SharePoint site without M365 group, you can create it from SharePoint admin center > Active Sites > Create 

ganeshsanap_0-1666269723153.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

A bit late, but this is a note to self as well :D

I am guessing that you are using a partner admin account to create the team site. When I used that to create the team site, I also always get "not available" for the group alias and for the site address. But when I switched to a tenant admin account, both are accepted.

I would suggest for MS Sharepoint Online team to surface the true error message.