SOLVED

Using Project as Resource Planner

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to use MS Project as a Resource Planner/Tracker?

If so, how would I set this up in Project?

Which views would be best to track this information?

I cannot figure out how to format the Hours, Duration, Start/End time as I want to see the number of hours each Resource is assigned to a task/project on a weekly basis.

If a new task needs to be assigned, I want to see how many hours each Resource is working (per week per task), so I can make properly reassign tasks.

Project A: Task 1, Task 2

Project B: Task 3, Task 4

Resource A

Resource B

Resource C

Resource A is assigned to Task 1 (20 hrs/wk) & Task 2 (20 hrs/wk)

Resource B is assigned to Task 3 (10 hrs/wk) & Task 4 (30 hrs/wk)

Resource C is assigned to Task 1 (10 hrs/wk)

I want to see all Resources assigned to each Task & each project.

I want to see all Tasks listed under a Project.

I want to see all Tasks assigned to a Resource.

7 Replies
KDash1228,
The term "resource planner/tracker" is a bit subjective, it can mean different things for different users. Generally though, yes, Project should be able to meet your needs.

First of all, what version of Project are you using (e.g. stand alone desktop, Project Online, Project for the Web)?

Is each "project" a separate file or simply different summary groups in a single file? If multiple files, are you using a resource pool?

The "I want to see" items listed are readily available in either the Task Usage or Resource Usage views.

John

@John-project

What version of Project are you using -- Desktop Project Standard

Is each "project" a separate file or simply different summary groups in a single file?-- Different summary groups in a single file

Attached are screenshots of 3 different views I think I want to use. But, I am not sure how to properly format the views/tasks to show the number of weekly hours assigned to a task versus total hours assigned throughout the year.

Task UsageTask Usage

Resource UsageResource Usage

Task SheetTask Sheet

best response confirmed by KDash1228 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
@KDash1228 

Thanks for the info. The first thing I suggest is change all your tasks to auto-scheduled. Manual scheduling may be useful when setting up a rough draft for a plan but once the plan is in place and you're ready to assign resources, all tasks should be auto-scheduled. Only then can you reap the benefits of Project's scheduling engine.

I see you have tasks that are set up as milestones (i.e. zero duration). Keep in mind that milestones are not tasks at all, they are a point in time normally defining the beginning or end of a group of activities. Milestones should not have resources assigned.

I also note that your task durations are all 5 days yet the resource hours do not add up to what is normally a full workweek (i.e. 40h). If your tasks are supposed to be for a fixed time span then I suggest you set the tasks as Fixed Duration and adjust resource hours as desired to occur anytime during that span.

As far as setting up the Task or Resource Usage views for weekly and yearly resource work loads, set the timescale to show weeks for weekly spread and a separate view with the timescale set to show years for yearly hours. Alternately, you can set the timescale to show weeks and then add the Cumulative Work field in the Details. You'll have to do a little math with the cumulative values see the difference year to year, but it will all be in one view.

Hope this helps.
John

@John-project 

I also note that your task durations are all 5 days yet the resource hours do not add up to what is normally a full workweek (i.e. 40h). If your tasks are supposed to be for a fixed time span then I suggest you set the tasks as Fixed Duration and adjust resource hours as desired to occur anytime during that span.

Since these are ongoing tasks that the Resource works on throughout the entire year, I changed the start date to 9/1/22 to 8/31/23 since those are the start and end dates of the fiscal year for my company. I am assuming that would be the correct way to set the duration, start, and finish values. Correct?

As far as setting up the Task or Resource Usage views for weekly and yearly resource work loads, set the timescale to show weeks for weekly spread and a separate view with the timescale set to show years for yearly hours.

Alternately, you can set the timescale to show weeks and then add the Cumulative Work field in the Details. You'll have to do a little math with the cumulative values see the difference year to year, but it will all be in one view.

Instead of depending on the Columns to display the number of weekly hours per resource, I should use the Timeline to view that information. Correct?

It sounds like the best views for my needs will be the Resource Usage, Task Usage, and Task Sheet. Correct?

Thank You! This has been super helpful.

KDash1228,
Setting a single task's duration to span a full year, fiscal or calendar, is a rather big chunk to time. Even though the task may be ongoing over that period, I suggest you break it down into more manageable periods, like quarters or months. That will give you a better ability to manage the work. As far as entering the data, enter the start date (if there are absolutely no prior tasks driving) and then enter the duration. Adjust as necessary to get the finish date desired. Remember, duration is in working days but you can enter calendar time as elapsed days (i.e. 30ed) for a typical month.

In the Task and Resource Usage views the left side is the "static" data (e.g. work is total work) and the right side is the "dynamic" data (e.g. work over the periods specified by the timescale). So yes, the best views for you needs are the Task and Resource Usage views. Depending on whether you want to display the Gantt bars, the Gantt Chart view will show them but the Task Sheet will only show the descriptive data with no Gantt display.

John

@John-project

Thank you, this has been extremely helpful. My file is now setup & formatted with the information that I need to show. I appreciate the time you have taken to help.

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. If I answered your questions please consider marking one of my responses as the answer.

John

@KDash1228

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KDash1228 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
@KDash1228 

Thanks for the info. The first thing I suggest is change all your tasks to auto-scheduled. Manual scheduling may be useful when setting up a rough draft for a plan but once the plan is in place and you're ready to assign resources, all tasks should be auto-scheduled. Only then can you reap the benefits of Project's scheduling engine.

I see you have tasks that are set up as milestones (i.e. zero duration). Keep in mind that milestones are not tasks at all, they are a point in time normally defining the beginning or end of a group of activities. Milestones should not have resources assigned.

As far as setting up the Task or Resource Usage views for weekly and yearly resource work loads, set the timescale to show weeks for weekly spread and a separate view with the timescale set to show years for yearly hours. Alternately, you can set the timescale to show weeks and then add the Cumulative Work field in the Details. You'll have to do a little math with the cumulative values see the difference year to year, but it will all be in one view.

Hope this helps.
John

View solution in original post