Summarizing Resources under milestones

Copper Contributor

Hi all I have 2 questions relating to milestones and getting more out of them for custom report sheets.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is to have the resources used summed up at milestones, is it possible to make some kind of custom script where when you create a milestone, it reads all the resources allocated for the tasks above it, right up to the summary task? Or alternatively have that data show up elsewhere without having to read and write down all the resources (workers) used yourself next to the milestone?

The other question I have is about setting milestone "types" if you will.

For example, I wish to indicate that a milestone is also a meeting, so I put the word meeting into the task name, this is read by something and so indicates a specific quality to it, in such a way that I can also easily get a list of the milestones that are indicated as a "meeting". 

Any help would be very much appreciated!

1 Reply
Zweebo,
You seem to be confusing the concept of milestones versus summary groups. Milestones are not tasks, they are just a point in time normally depicting the start or finish of a whole plan or group of tasks. Milestones have zero duration and no resources assigned. A milestone may on occasion have a cost associated with it (e.g. receipt or payment of an invoice), but this is rare.

With regard to summing up resources, the Task Usage view provides a list of all resources assigned to any given task. If you just want a count of resources under each summary level that may be feasible with selective grouping. If you want all the resource names assigned under each summary level then you will need VBA to parse and dump that information into a spare Text field (e.g. Text1) at each summary level, but if the total character string is greater than 255, you'll have to use the Notes field.

With regard to milestone "meetings", I suggest you create a separate task for each "type" or perhaps designate a general descriptor task and use a custom field (e.g. Text1) to identify the "type". That makes filtering or grouping for each "type" very easy.

John