project team member restrictions

Copper Contributor

Hi,

in Project Web App, I would like to further limit the collaboration privileges of users belonging to a project so that these users cannot change the start and end dates of the activities.
The ideal condition would be to be able to change only the activity progress percentage.
What are the steps for making these additional restrictions?
Thank you.

7 Replies

Hello @vincenzopiscitelli ,

Where are users updating the tasks? On the /Tasks page in PWA? If so, any changes here need to be approved by the Status Manager so that Status Manager can just reject the task start / end date changes. As far as I know there is no way to stop users changing the start and end date of a task they are assigned to from the /Tasks page in PWA.

Paul

Hi @Paul Mather,

users update activities directly in PWA.
At the moment when users make updates on activities they are immediately saved to the project.
How can I make sure that activity updates are authorized before they are recorded on the project?
Thanks.

Vincenzo.

So are the users editing the full project plan from the Schedule PDP in PWA? If so, I would go change the access model to prevent Team Members edit access to the projects (the default access model in PWA) then get users to update tasks from the /Tasks page in PWA: {pwaUrl}/Tasks.aspx

It looks like this (from my test system - not real projects!):

PaulMather_0-1637071604044.png

Paul

Hi @Paul Mather,

yes, users are currently editing the entire project plan.
Could you please tell me step by step how I can change this setting so that I can receive requests for approval of user task updates?
Thanks.

Vincenzo.

Guiding you on what to change on the Permission model isn't going to be easy via the forums as ideally we'd need understand the exact permission model settings in place today. You will need to ensure Team Members do not have Save access to the projects. The default Team Members group / My Tasks category settings can be seen below:

Default My Tasks category:

PaulMather_0-1637074337445.png

The default Team Members group:

PaulMather_1-1637074405097.png

Here is a guide up updating project progress: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/step-3-update-progress-ca5c3826-85bf-4a31-9351-3b83fd7c8f...  also: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/Collaborate-2ce5cddb-87da-42fe-9df3-fbe37c3c7afb#Category... 

Hope that helps

Paul

vincenzo --

It sounds like you are using the Tasks page for your team members to submit task progress in their projects. If that is the case, team members ARE allowed to edit the Start date and Finish date of their assigned tasks, but those two columns can be set to Read-Only. Ask your application administrator to open the My Assignments view for editing in PWA and then to set the Start [Assignment] and Finish [Assignment] fields to Read-Only status by selecting the Make Column Read Only checkbox for each field. Does that help? Let us know.

Good suggestion @Dale Howard ,

@vincenzopiscitelli this option is here:

PaulMather_0-1637757704161.png