SOLVED

Prevent from deleting Task in MS Project Pro

Iron Contributor

Hello.

How can I prevent from deleting Task in MS Project Pro?

BR, Vasily

8 Replies
As long as a user has write access to Project data, task data can be deleted. There is no "selective access", it's all or none.

What exactly is your issue?

John
I need some customization in Enterprise Global Template which prevent task deletion. How to do it with VBA Module or VSTO?
Vasily
I don't use the enterprise versions of Project but it will still come down to write access. As I said, there is no selective control for elements of Project.

I suppose you could write a procedure (VBA or VSTO) that queries the current user and if that user attempts to make unauthorized changes, those changes are ignored. However, a much better approach is user training and periodic auditing.

John
Hello, John.
Would you be so kind tell me how can I use VSTO in Enterprise Global Template (EGT), or send my question to MS Project On Prem Product Group in MS.
BR, Vasily
best response confirmed by Vasily_Zaytsev (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Let me back up for a minute. Your original question relates to task deletion but then you said you wanted customization of the Enterprise Global template to prevent task deletion. Unless I'm missing something, task deletion has nothing to do with the Global file. The Global file, local or enterprise, sets basic Project options, views, calendars, and other "global" parameters. It does not control tasks or resources, those are unique to a specific Project file.

So please explain again what the real issue is.

And for your reference, there is no MS Project On Premises Product Group unless you have a special support contract with Microsoft (i.e. paid support contract). This forum is for technical support issues but it is not manned by Microsoft personnel, it is manned by volunteers like myself.

John

Hello, John.
Thank you anyway and have a good day.
BR, Vasily
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
John
Does project tasks can be restored in recycle bin?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Vasily_Zaytsev (Iron Contributor)
Solution

Let me back up for a minute. Your original question relates to task deletion but then you said you wanted customization of the Enterprise Global template to prevent task deletion. Unless I'm missing something, task deletion has nothing to do with the Global file. The Global file, local or enterprise, sets basic Project options, views, calendars, and other "global" parameters. It does not control tasks or resources, those are unique to a specific Project file.

So please explain again what the real issue is.

And for your reference, there is no MS Project On Premises Product Group unless you have a special support contract with Microsoft (i.e. paid support contract). This forum is for technical support issues but it is not manned by Microsoft personnel, it is manned by volunteers like myself.

John

View solution in original post