SOLVED

More than 10 bars in timeline bar

Copper Contributor

I am using Project to manage a program of works with circa 80 individual projects. The timeline feature is an effective way to summarise project status at a high level but I cannot work out how to add more than 10 bard to the timeline. Is there a way around the 10 bar limit, or alternatively, is there a report function that provides a similar view to the timeline?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JRivett_0-1715918701067.png

5 Replies
JRivett,
What version of Project are you using?

To answer your question, no, there is no way to increase the 10 bar limit but even if you could do more, 80 timeline bars is a bit much to try and digest, in my opinion. What is the essence of the mass of information you are trying to show in report form? Graphics are great for visuals but maybe there is a better way to convey the data.

Do you have 80 separate project files, are all 80 projects in one file, or what is the structure?

John

@John-project 

Hi John

Thanks for your response!

I'm using Microsoft Project Professional 2029. 

I manage a program of works for which I have a single high level program that lists each project (refer snip below). 

I have a stakeholder group that require a high level summary of the status of each project and I the information in the timeline is good for this.

Is there a better way that I could be doing this?

JRivett_0-1716161619847.png

Regards,

James

best response confirmed by JRivett (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JRivett 

Man you must have a pretty slick time machine that you're using Project 2029 already. I guess Microsoft will still be around for at least another 5 years :)

Thanks for the screen shot of your high level program file. You mention that the stakeholders want a high level of status of each project. Graphics are a nice visual but a well structured tabular format can sometime be better depending on what program metrics are important to them. You might want to ask them what data is of most interest.

Meanwhile, here is a graphical workaround similar to the Timeline. It doesn't have as much annotation functionality but the visual elements are there and can be used to show more than 10 projects.

Set it up this way:

1. Go to, Gantt Chart Format > Bar Styles group > Format > Bar Styles

2. Set up a new Gantt bar style for each project phase (e.g. Feasibility, Consultant, Documentation, etc.). In my example I show 2 elements (Phase 1, Phase 2) but you can have up to 20, one Flag for each element. Note, I set up the bar to show the task Name field inside the bar and I deleted the bulk of Gantt bar styles that are not needed.

2024-05-20_09-25-26.png

3. Once the bar styles are set up apply those to your program file as shown in the example file. Note, you also need to set the Rollup and Hide Bar fields as shown for each project.

2024-05-20_09-29-57.png

4. To create a stakeholders display, set up a filter to isolate each project's summary line. One convenient way to do that is to use the Marked field as shown and create a custom filter or use the AutoFilter to isolate all projects for display.

2024-05-20_09-35-21.png

When the filter is applied, this is the result:

2024-05-20_09-41-57.png

Hope this helps.

John

@John-project 

Thanks John! This looks like exactly what I need. I haven't had a chance to work through it yet, but will give it a go. Thanks for your help.

James

James,
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JRivett (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JRivett 

Man you must have a pretty slick time machine that you're using Project 2029 already. I guess Microsoft will still be around for at least another 5 years :)

Thanks for the screen shot of your high level program file. You mention that the stakeholders want a high level of status of each project. Graphics are a nice visual but a well structured tabular format can sometime be better depending on what program metrics are important to them. You might want to ask them what data is of most interest.

Meanwhile, here is a graphical workaround similar to the Timeline. It doesn't have as much annotation functionality but the visual elements are there and can be used to show more than 10 projects.

Set it up this way:

1. Go to, Gantt Chart Format > Bar Styles group > Format > Bar Styles

2. Set up a new Gantt bar style for each project phase (e.g. Feasibility, Consultant, Documentation, etc.). In my example I show 2 elements (Phase 1, Phase 2) but you can have up to 20, one Flag for each element. Note, I set up the bar to show the task Name field inside the bar and I deleted the bulk of Gantt bar styles that are not needed.

2024-05-20_09-25-26.png

3. Once the bar styles are set up apply those to your program file as shown in the example file. Note, you also need to set the Rollup and Hide Bar fields as shown for each project.

2024-05-20_09-29-57.png

4. To create a stakeholders display, set up a filter to isolate each project's summary line. One convenient way to do that is to use the Marked field as shown and create a custom filter or use the AutoFilter to isolate all projects for display.

2024-05-20_09-35-21.png

When the filter is applied, this is the result:

2024-05-20_09-41-57.png

Hope this helps.

John

View solution in original post