SOLVED

Microsoft Project Online - Project Manager & Program Managers to view all projects

Copper Contributor

Hi

This is my first post and new to Microsoft Project Online. I hope this is the correct forum.

I have managed to setup project online and create the initial projects and assign the owners. The issue I have is that I need all project & program managers to see all projects and currently they dont. They only see a project created by themselves not the one I did. How do i achieve that no matter who creates a project, there is a group that I can add people to that will see all projects created in the project center in project online 

4 Replies
best response confirmed by fish_s_nobia1111 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
fish_s_nobia1111 --

First of all, this solution assumes that you have added all of your project and program managers to the default Project Managers security group in Project Web App (PWA). If you have not done so already, please add them to the Project Managers security group. Also, in your original post, you did not indicate whether you want your project and program managers to be able to edit any project, so there are two scenarios I will provide for you:

1. You want your PMs to be able to see all projects and open them Read-Only, but they should only be able to edit their OWN projects.

2. You want your PMs to be able to see, open, and edit all projects.

If you want your PMs to see all projects, but only be able to open them Read-Only, first navigate to the PWA Settings page in Project Web App and then click the Manage Groups link in the Security section of the page. On the Manage Groups page, click the Project Managers group to open it for editing. In the Categories section of the page, select the My Organization category in the Selected Categories list on the right side of the page. In the Permissions for My Organization data grid, select the following checkboxes (in addition to those already selected):

Open Project
View Project Schedule in Project Web App
View Project Site
View Project Summary in Project Center

When finished, click the Save button. From this point forward, your PMs will be able to see and open all projects Read-Only, and will be able to edit only the projects that they create.

If you want your PMs to be able to see, open, and edit all projects, navigate to the PWA Settings page in Project Web App and then click the Manage Categories link in the Security section of the page. On the Manage Categories page, click the My Projects category to open it for editing. On the Add or Edit Category page for the My Projects category, select the Include All Current and Future Projects option in the Projects section of the page, and then click the Save button. From this point forward, your PMs will be able to open and edit every project, including those you create for them and those that they create themselves.

WARNING: You SHOULD NOT complete both sets of steps above. Choose only one of the above situations and complete only those steps. Hope this helps.

@Dale Howard Hi Dale. First of all thank you so much. I have been searching for a solution on the internet and been around and around in circles. It does not help that our Project Online "detail" is in Swedish. I can confirm it is option 1 i.e. Project Managers to view all projects but only edit their own. My issue is when I follow your instructions:

"PWA Settings page in Project Web App and then click the Manage Groups link in the Security section of the page. On the Manage Groups page"

In "PWA Settings" page, I dont have a security section / Mange groups. Are you aware of another route or some kind of additional permissions I may need? In the "Site Settings" I do see "People and groups" as well as "Site Permissions" under "User & Permissions" group. I am an admin. 

I cant paste images here, but have manage to copy and paste the text i see in the PWA setting page:

Personal SettingsEnterprise DataQueue and Database Administration

My Queued JobsEnterprise Custom Fields and Lookup TablesManage Queue Jobs
 Enterprise CalendarsDelete Enterprise Objects
 Resource CenterForce Check-in Enterprise Objects
 Reporting 

Look and FeelTime and Task ManagementOperational Policies

Manage ViewsFiscal PeriodsAdditional Server Settings
Grouping FormatsTime Reporting PeriodsActive Directory Resource Pool Synchronization
Gantt Chart FormatsLine ClassificationsConnected SharePoint Sites
Quick LaunchTimesheet Settings and Defaults 
 Administrative Time 
 Task Settings and Display 
 Manage Timesheets 
 Timesheet Managers 

Workflow and Project Detail Pages  

Enterprise Project Types  
Workflow Phases  
Workflow Stages  
Change or Restart Workflows  
Project Detail Pages  
Just an update. I found another post from Dale with a screen shot and realised I dont have the security group in PWA settings. I have reached out to our internal Microsoft team to either follow Dale's instructions or give me access so I can get to Security.
You need to change your Project Online instance to Project Permission Mode. To do this, whomever was the creator of your Project Online instance will need to log into PWA with administrator permissions, then navigate to the PWA Settings page. In the Operational Policies section on the right side of the page, click the Additional Server Settings link. In the Permission Management section of the page, select Project Permission Mode, and then click the Save button. After doing this, he/she should add you to the Administrators group. This can be accessed in the Manage Groups page, referenced in my preceding reply.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by fish_s_nobia1111 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
fish_s_nobia1111 --

First of all, this solution assumes that you have added all of your project and program managers to the default Project Managers security group in Project Web App (PWA). If you have not done so already, please add them to the Project Managers security group. Also, in your original post, you did not indicate whether you want your project and program managers to be able to edit any project, so there are two scenarios I will provide for you:

1. You want your PMs to be able to see all projects and open them Read-Only, but they should only be able to edit their OWN projects.

2. You want your PMs to be able to see, open, and edit all projects.

If you want your PMs to see all projects, but only be able to open them Read-Only, first navigate to the PWA Settings page in Project Web App and then click the Manage Groups link in the Security section of the page. On the Manage Groups page, click the Project Managers group to open it for editing. In the Categories section of the page, select the My Organization category in the Selected Categories list on the right side of the page. In the Permissions for My Organization data grid, select the following checkboxes (in addition to those already selected):

Open Project
View Project Schedule in Project Web App
View Project Site
View Project Summary in Project Center

When finished, click the Save button. From this point forward, your PMs will be able to see and open all projects Read-Only, and will be able to edit only the projects that they create.

If you want your PMs to be able to see, open, and edit all projects, navigate to the PWA Settings page in Project Web App and then click the Manage Categories link in the Security section of the page. On the Manage Categories page, click the My Projects category to open it for editing. On the Add or Edit Category page for the My Projects category, select the Include All Current and Future Projects option in the Projects section of the page, and then click the Save button. From this point forward, your PMs will be able to open and edit every project, including those you create for them and those that they create themselves.

WARNING: You SHOULD NOT complete both sets of steps above. Choose only one of the above situations and complete only those steps. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post