Custom fields Error and Order

Brass Contributor

Hi community,

I noticed that custom fiels with formula are shown as Error when creating a new project in Project Desktop, can I hide them?

Always in the project information pop-up the fields are ordered alphabetically, can this order be customized?

Thank you in advance 

4 Replies

@Knowledgeseeker 

Most likely the custom field formulas are showing ERROR because one or more of the arguments in the formula is invalid (e.g. division by zero). You can hide them by hiding the custom field (i.e. hide the field column so it doesn't display in the view).

However, if you are referring only to those task lines where the custom field shows an ERROR, then no, you can't hide individual task field data. I suggest you either correct the error or delete the custom field formula.

As far as ordering field listing to something other than alphabetical, sorry, no can do. That is fixed by the Project GUI.

Hope this helps.

John

@John-project 

Most likely the custom field formulas are showing ERROR because one or more of the arguments in the formula is invalid (e.g. division by zero). You can hide them by hiding the custom field (i.e. hide the field column so it doesn't display in the view).

We do agree that since the field is calculated based on dates, in the moment of creating a new project as long as it's not yet saved Error would be displayed instead, especially through Project Desktop.

Related to your answer, we can't act on fields visibility in the project's informations screen we can display in Project Desktop?

As far as ordering field listing to something other than alphabetical, sorry, no can do. That is fixed by the Project GUI.

Direct answer, hopefully the option would be available in the future even that would give a sense to information having it grouped in small sections. 

Thank you. 

@Knowledgeseeker 

Sorry, I don't understand your comment (question), "related to your answer, we can't act on fields visibility in the project's informations screen we can display in Project Desktop?"

There are tons of fields in Project, even more with enterprise versions so I can understand why you might want to have them grouped for easier/quicker access. In my view it would be nice to have all the Baseline fields separated into a collapsible group, but, I believe it is extremely unlikely that part of the Project GUI will ever be changed. However, you can make the request via the Feedback portal on the Project app.

John

I do appreciate your reply.