Critical Path

Copper Contributor

Hello, I would like to know if Microsoft Project Online (Plan 3 & 5) or on the Web (Plan 1) is able to automatically chart out the Critical Path and Slack Time. I spent a significant amount of time trying to figure it out but to no avail. I would also like to know the steps to accomplish this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day!

2 Replies

Hello @yitss ,

Project Online has the ability to view the critical path in a Gantt chart - for example look at the default Task Tracking view in the schedule PDP.

Paul

yitss -- Yes, Microsoft Project Online can automatically calculate the Critical Path in a project in both Project Plan 3 and 5. However, Project for the Web (Project Plan 1) does not have this capability. To view an accurate Critical Path in a Microsoft Project schedule, you will need to make sure that every detailed task and milestone has at least one Predecessor and at least one Successor task. You should not link summary tasks, however; just detailed tasks and milestones. The only exception to this rule would be that the first task will not have a Predecessor and the last task will not have a Successor. To view the Critical Path in a project, apply the Tracking Gantt view. To see the Total Slack values, on which the Critical Path is determined, apply the task Schedule table. When the Total Slack value is 0d, the task is Critical. When the Total Slack value is greater than 0, the task is a non-Critical task. Hope this helps.