Restricting Users to Create Sharepoint List Entries Only Through Power Apps

Copper Contributor

I'm currently working on a project where I have a SharePoint list called "Inspection" and a Power Apps program that interfaces with this list.

My goal is to allow users to create entries in the SharePoint list exclusively through the Power Apps program, whilst preventing them from manually creating entries directly in the SharePoint list itself.

To facilitate the creation of new entries, I have set up a Power Automate Flow that triggers when users submit data through the Power Apps program. However, I have found that in order for the flow to work, users must also have the permission to manually create entries in the SharePoint list, which is not ideal for my use case.

I'm looking for suggestions or alternative approaches to ensure that users can only create entries in the SharePoint list through the Power Apps program and not directly in the list itself.

Is there a specific permission setting, configuration, or workaround that I can implement to achieve this?

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 Reply

@NukaWorld 

To restrict users from manually creating entries directly in the SharePoint list and only allow entry creation through the Power Apps program, you can follow these steps:

1. Remove direct list entry creation permissions: In SharePoint, adjust the permissions for the SharePoint list to remove the ability for users to create entries directly. This will prevent users from manually adding items to the list.
  2. Utilize a SharePoint custom form: Instead of allowing users to access the default SharePoint list form, create a custom form using Power Apps for data entry. Customize the form to match your requirements and integrate it with the SharePoint list.
  3. Assign Power Apps permissions: Grant appropriate permissions to users to access and use the Power Apps program. This will enable them to create entries through the Power Apps form.
  4. Use SharePoint permissions for data access: Configure the SharePoint list permissions to allow users to view and access the entries created by the Power Apps program. This way, users can only interact with the list through the Power Apps form and can't manually create or modify entries.
  5. Implement validation in Power Apps: Within the Power Apps program, incorporate validation rules to ensure that users can only submit valid data to the SharePoint list. This helps maintain data integrity and adherence to your specific business rules.

By combining these steps, you can effectively restrict users from manually creating entries in the SharePoint list and enforce the use of the Power Apps program for data entry. This approach ensures consistency and control over the data while providing a streamlined user experience through the custom Power Apps form.

The steps were created with the help of AI.

All information without guarantee!