SOLVED

Flow "Send As" for sending to MS Teams channel?

Brass Contributor

Sending a message from a work flow to a Team channel works great, but it is there any way to have the from appear to be a different user? or from a flow bot?   I have notices that get sent into a Team channel each time a new item is added to a certain custom list in SharePoint.  I would prefer that in the Teams channel the message did not appear to be from me.  

When using a flow to send an email, we have a Send as/Send on Behalf option.  It would be great to have something similar for sending to a Team channel.

6 Replies
Mmm...I guess this is something you will have to make by yourself by using the Graph and Teams APIs in your Flow

You could also use a different user in the Connection in Flow, so that it appears as a service account for example. This way it won't show as you being the poster.

best response confirmed by Christopher J. Crocker (Brass Contributor)
Solution
I suggest using an incoming webhook. This way you can customize what it’s from and you also will get proper notifications.

Here is a brief article about the differences but search around for creating them, should net you what you need.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Community-Blog/Posting-to-Teams-with-Flow-Incomin...

This is an interesting suggestion.

Can I have multiple connections with Flow?  or, can one of my Flows use a specific connection/user?  and my other Flows continue to use my account?

I am not an admin, so I would need to convince my IT team to create a service account user with all the rights and perms needed for what my flow needs to touch.  Would this also eat a use license for O365?  If so it makes justification harder if there is additional costs.

This is a great option. The article mentions: "It uses a "service account", instead of the name of the person who created the Flow."

Does that mean I need to create a new user in Azure AD for the service account? I am hoping to avoid eating a user account license.
So think of the webhook as just a message provider. It doesn’t require authentication. So you define that as the connector on a channel with the name etc. and then you just send your Json over from your flow itself.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christopher J. Crocker (Brass Contributor)
Solution
I suggest using an incoming webhook. This way you can customize what it’s from and you also will get proper notifications.

Here is a brief article about the differences but search around for creating them, should net you what you need.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Community-Blog/Posting-to-Teams-with-Flow-Incomin...

View solution in original post