Extract SharePoint List via Visual Studio Function App and push data into Azure SQL Database

Copper Contributor

My goal is to embed a PowerBI report into a SharePoint Site looking at data in that SharePoint.  I want this data to be live.  

Dashboard is built out, just needs real time data.

Via research, the best solution I've found that is not a dead end so far is uploading the SP data into Azure SQL Database and using a direct query from the power BI report into Azure for the data.

Does anyone have a better way to do this? Currently I am stuck writing the C# code to retrieve the data from the SP List and push the data into my Azure SQL DB..

Thanks in advance for any advice or notes! :) 

1 Reply
Hello,

I haven't done it myself, but as an alternative to your C# solution for extracting data from a SharePoint List and loading into your Azure SQL DB, would the Power Platform connector for SQL Server be of any use - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sql/

Using the connector I think you will be able to have two Power Automate flows, one triggered when adding a new item to your SP List, the second triggered when updating an item in the list.

The Power Automate flows would then use the connector to insert or update records in Azure SQL as needed.