Copy list item to another filed within same list?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

Let me start by saying that this is my first Power Automate flow. I am in the process of migrating from SharePoint 2010/2013 to SharePoint 365. 

In my 'Project Status Notes' field I have versioning turned on. I would like for every time an item is created or modified to copy the most recent version of notes to a field called 'Most Recent Status'. I do this cause in my view I only want to view one status not all. 

The problem I am running into is that when the flow runs it's like to the original person updating and I receive a warning in Power Automate - Actions in this flow may result in an infinite trigger loop. Please ensure you add appropriate conditional checks to prevent this flow from triggering itself.

What am I doing wrong and how can I resolve this?

Thanks,

Rob

5 Replies
Hi Rob - so your flow triggers when an item is modified, and then modifies the same item, which would then trigger the flow again, which is why it would cause an infinite loop. I think if you added a condition at the start of your flow like "If 'most recent version of notes' is not equal to 'Most Recent Status'" then proceed. Basically, you just need a condition to see if this process has already been completed.

If that's not clear enough feel free to post a pic of your flow and I might be able to give additional detail.

Hope that helps!

@jkiblerfbibuildings 

Thank you for your response. I tried your suggestion to add the trigger and still got the Infinite Loop error. Probably something I am still doing wrong. So here is the original. As you see I am trying to update the Most Recent Project Status Notes with  a the current version of the Project Status Notes column.

Rob_Ayala_0-1623443445111.png

@Rob_Ayala Attached is an example of how I'd do that (albeit two different columns I arbitrarily picked) - did you try something like this?

Also since you're new to Flow have you looked at your flow's run history yet? It's available under "My Flows" after opening your flow (before editing it). You can click on a specific run and then see what happened at each stage of the flow.  I guess if you haven't gotten it to run yet this isn't helpful, but it will be as you work with conditions and things don't work the way you'd think :)

@jkiblerfbibuildings 

I followed your example and still received the infinite loop. The field has been updated but since it is stuck in an infinite loop when I go back into the List I receive this error at the bottom

Save Conflict. Your changes conflict with those made concurrently by another user. If you want your changes to be applied, click Back in your Web browser, refresh the page, and resubmit your changes.

Rob_Ayala_0-1623445684034.png

Hmm the warning just says 'ensure you add appropriate condition checks' which I think we did. Was that Save Conflict already there from the previous flow runs without the condition? Maybe we're missing something still but that looks good to me. If you're not sure if the Save Conflict was already there I'd clear that conflict first and then try running the flow again.