Who can see Plan Descriptions in Planner?

Copper Contributor

@PlannerTeam,

I have scoured the internet to try and find the answer but the lack of information regarding "Plan Description" is very disappointing.

I have created a group to use planner, created a plan and added the group to the plan but no one else in the group can see the plan description apart from me. The only information I can find on the internet regarding this problem (at least for me) is the Plan Description field is "optional" but this doesn't help me or my group as we need to see the common data regarding our plans.

Please can you clarify for me if the Plan Description is only available for plan owners i.e. someone who created the plan? If so, please can you note it under the edit box so that new users like myself will be made aware and ignore that field. If this is meant for everyone in the group to see then there is a bug that isn't allowing people to see or I need to be educated on how to use Planner correctly.

Any help is appreciated!

4 Replies
It is not posisble for the plan members to view / edit the plan description.

@Santhosh Balakrishnan,

Thank you very much for your response. Please can you help me wrap my head around the point of having a description field that is not available for other members of the plan to see?

Is that not a redundant "optional" field if there is no actual purpose for it?

Again, your response is much appreciated.

@kc1386 I am not sure what happened to the Plan description. I used it earlier when I created the plan and users view it in the Plan settings tab. 

@Santhosh Balakrishnan, unfortunately this is no longer the case. Only plan owners can see the description within the settings tab > group.

Members can only see 2 tabs, General and Notifications.

Are you aware if Planner is one of the core modules that will be continued working on to improve the service? I feel like this programme is going to be deprecated very soon and everyone will be forced to use MS Projects (or To Do for a free version).